My name is Leanne, and I have Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, and a lot of times BAD PMS!!!!  I usually get VERY irritable and sensitive when I'm PMSing, and it is NOT a good idea to correct my mistakes, reprimand me for not doing what I'm supposed to do, or make suggestions or requests!  Now, I know what you're thinking!  You're thinking that this is normal and that a lot of girls and women feel this way, but I get SO short tempered right before my period that I sometimes want to rip someone's head off or tell people to "Shut the f*** up!"  You know what f-word I mean, right (hint: curse word that rhymes with duck)?  I have even had suicidal thoughts because I was PMSing and somebody corrected my mistakes or reprimanded me for not doing what I was supposed to do!  I know my parents love me, and would be DEVASTATED if I was not around!  I'm their ONLY DAUGHTER for crying out loud!  I HAVE a brother, but my parents STILL say it wouldn't be the same without me!  The problem is, though, neither of my parents seem to have a clue what PMS is!  My mom has suggested that I ask my doc about Birth Control pills so my mood swings aren't so extreme, but that's about as understanding as she gets, and that's not very understanding at all!  Could I have PMDD or coulld my extreme PMS mood swings be due in part to the fact that I have a language-based learning disability?  Should I get this c**p checked out? 

Leanne,
if i didnt know better, i would of thought my daughter wrote this. Just curious on your progress? did you go on birth control and did it help with your "colorful" mood?

laurie

Hi, No, I have not gone on birth control yet. I have, however, tried taking over-the-counter calcium supplements and vitamin B Super B complex tablets (also over-the-counter) and they have REALLY helped! Last month, I tried taking both the calcium and the vitamin super-b complex, and I hardly noticed any PMS symptoms!

No. I haven't gone on birth control. But I forgot to ask. Does your daughter have a language-associated disability, like I do? I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome (mild form of Autism in which speech and cognitive abilities are within normal limits), and ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder).

She has cognitive issues, aspergers and oppositional disorder. Pragmatic language also. Sometimes her sentences are a bit jumbled, she has an extensive vocabulary and enjoys words. ( word searches, puzzles etc. since she has entered womanhood, I have noticed she's more short tempered, easily agitated, and almost viscous at times. She doesn't like to look at herself in the mirror, which worries me. Self esteem issues.
I will try the calcium and super B supplements, thank you for the suggestion!
I try to put myself in my daughters shoes as much as I can, I try to get into her head to communicate with her. I want to help her, but never know where to turn. She does have doctors she sees, sometimes I think they truly don't understand what it's like.
Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!!
Laurie

You may also want to have her discuss her symptoms with an OB/GYN, psychiatrist, or other doctor, to get medical advice. Though, OB/GYNs and psychiatrists are more likely to understant PMS and PMDD than some other types of doctors. My doctor is a male, so I see a nurse practitioner at my doctor's office for the regular check-ups, and I have discussed my PMS symptoms with the nurse. She seems to know a lot about PMS and PMDD!

We have that appointment scheduled. Thank you ! Good luck to you!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Laurie

That's great that you have that appointment scheduled!!!!!! If the docs think she has PMDD, know that it's not your fault, and that you were trying to do the right thing for her.

Since writing this post, I have gone on the pill, and it definitely helped with the crappy mood that comes with PMS!