my wife and I just tested positive for chlamydia....I believe we're both monogamous.  She is a labor and delivery nurse....is there any chance she contracted it at work.  She's always saying that she will get 'splashed' from time to time.  She has rough hands and often many cuts and splits....she says she double gloves.  Could she have gotten splashed in the eye/mouth from an infected patient, and contracted?

Hi Guest,

The quick answer is that yes there is always a risk.  As a labor and delivery nurse she is exposed to large amounts of bodily fluids.  Even with proper Body Substance Isolation techniques there is always a chance.

But, it is also possible that either one of you has had this for a long time.  Especially in men it often does not produce any symptoms.

What prompted you to test in the first place?  Just out of curiosity.

I recently had some discomfort in my lower stomach, groin area when urinating/orgasm. Not burning, but mild discomfort. Went in for an unrelated test that came back with no issues. Doc recommended sending sample off for more testing (including STD). Positive. Monogamous for 15 years and she's had clean paps....doubt I've had it that long without popping up at some point. Really want to believe she's not having affair, looking at all possibilities. No other signs of infidelity....hoping this is the case

A pap test usually does NOT test for chlamydia.

Don't rule out a false positive. It does happen.