Hi! I have just come back from my doctor and he has just prescribed me 1000 mg of Famvir for seven days. I have been under great stress lately and I felt fatigue and nervous for some time. My problems started few days ago with kind of deep inner pain in my back and this terrible rush appeared few hours ago. My doctor told me that this is herpes zoster. I know what it is but I keep thinking that this dosage is too much.

Hello! The symptoms you described are the usual symptoms of weakened immune system which is one of the reasons why the Herpes Zoster virus has been reactivated. The usual therapy dosage for Herpes Zoster with Famvir is 500 mg three times a day for seven days. As you could see this is 1500 mg a day which is recommended dosage. I am wondering why your doctor has prescribed the lower dosage for you; maybe you have problems with your kidneys which are often the reasons for lower dosage. Don't worry and listen to your doctor.