I have a friend who is lately diagnosed with genital herpes. He told me his doctor prescribed him medicine and he will get rid of herpes soon. However, when he told me the drug is called Valtrex, I became worried. Problem is that my mother used it to treat herpes zoster, so I am worried this is not appropriate treatment for both of them. Could you tell me more about this drug because now I do not know what to think?

Valtrex is indicated for the treatment of herpes zoster known as shingles, as well as this drug is indicated for the treatment or suppression of genital herpes. As you could already see, there is no need to be worried, because this medicine works for both different herpes types. Valtrex is valacyclovir hydrochloride, and it is the hydrochloride salt of L -valyl ester of the antiviral drug acyclovir. Valtrex Caplets are for oral administration, where each caplet contains valacyclovir hydrochloride equivalent to 500 mg. Valtrex is contraindicated in patients with a known hypersensitivity or intolerance to valacyclovir, acyclovir, or any component of the formulation. Dosage reduction is recommended when administering Valtrex to patients with renal impairment. Acute renal failure and central nervous system symptoms have been reported in patients with these diseases. The efficacy of Valtrex has not been established for the treatment of disseminated herpes zoster or in immunocompromised patients. Common side effects are facial edema, hypertension, and tachycardia. If any of those occur, you should report it to the doctor.