Hello! My brother has herpes zoster. He is very unhappy because of it. I told him that anyone who had chickenpox infection as a kid can get this virus that causes shingles. He is otherwise very healthy person. His doctor prescribed just pain relievers and cold compresses, but my brother keeps scratching all the time. Our neighbor told us about Fammvir and recommends it. Could you please tell me more about the dosage for the treatment of herpes zoster.

Hi! First of all let me correct you - the medicine Famvir is written with one m – not Fammvir but Famvir. Its generic name is also Famcyclovir. The usual and recommended dosage for treatment of Herpes Zoster with Famvir is 500 mg every eight hour for one week. It is very important to start with Famvir as soon as Herpes Zoster is diagnosed. But, please do not start to use it by yourself, you should, first of all, consult your doctor. Maybe there is a reason why he didn't prescribe Famvir to your brother. You didn't write how old is he or is he maybe hypersensitive to some of the components of this medicine. Be careful and see your doctor first.