I am a diabetic type 2 and I haven't needed medication up to now.  I have been told by the doctor that I need to be on it now.  He put me on metformin 500 mg two times a day.  I think this sounds really high.  I don't think I should be taking 1000 mg of anything each day.  I don't even take that much medication for pain.  I take a 200 mg tabliet of ibuprofen when I have muscle pain and that's it.  What are the prescribing guidelines for metformin?  I just hope the doctor knows what he is doing. 

You will do fine being on 1000 mg of metformin to take care of your diabetic needs.  Many patients need varying doses of metformin depending on their situation.  You can ask the doctor about an alternative medication if you are having trouble dealing with taking an increased dosage of the metformin.  You can discuss this with your doctor.  Metformin is a good diabetic medication to be on because it doesn’t have the tendency to cause hypoglycemia in diabetic patients. 

I am a diabetic whos been on metformin for many years. I tried glycilizide and it was not a good medication for me .. it was making me have hypoglycemia all the time so I started on metformin to take care of y sugars. It is a good medicine to get your blood sugars down so I would tell you that you need to stay on the med and try the new dose. I think it has done the best for me because I can eat a little cake now and then and my blood sugar is good. I exercise on my exercise bike every day about 15 mintutes too and I have lost some weight, I think about 15 pounds of it. You can do it.

Asking your question, the prescribing guidelines for metformin are: metformin is the preferred initial pharmacological agent in treating DM2 if you don't have contra indications. It reduces the amount of glucose produced by the liver and it reduces your blood glucose also helping it to go from blood to muscle and fat tissue. The recommended dose to start is 500mg 2x/day or 850mg 1x/day, so what you are taking is not high, actually you are taking less than the maximum dose allowed. So, if you don't have contra indications your doctor did the right thing! You have also with this choice less chance of experiencing hypoglycemia. You shouldn’t be afraid.