Hi, my mother has been diagnosed with kidney cancer. The doctors say that in the cases like my mother's, when the cancer is discovered early, prognosis is usually very good. But, when I ask them if this means that my mother will recover completely they say that they do not know. I am very worried about her. I have a feeling that the doctors are not telling us the whole truth. Can you tell me what the usual prognosis for kidney cancer patients is?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your mother. If the doctors have said that they have discovered the cancer early that probably means that it is a stage one cancer. In this phase, the cancer cells are still inside the kidney and have not spread to surrounding tissue. It is true that in this stage kidney cancer patients have the best chance for recovery, so the doctors told you the truth. But, cancer is a very unpredictable condition and specialists usually talk about survival rates and not recoveries. The basic survival rate is fife years and the prognosis in the cancer patients are made based on this time. The five year survival rate is actually the time after which the doctors believe that there is a small chance for the cancer to return. The doctors did not talk to you about full recovery because unfortunately, there is always a small chance that the cancer might return after some time. In stage one kidney cancer prognosis for five years recovery is seventy to ninety four percent, depending on the case. You see, every kidney cancer patient is unique and the doctors estimate individual prognosis. I feel that you should have faith in your mother’s doctors. If they say that she has great chances for recovery than they are probably right.