My wife was diagnosed with kidney cancer, stage 2 and they removed it 2005. She haven’t bee tested since then. She recently developed some pain on surgery place that is different than the recovery type pain. Should she do some test again for kidney cancer? How often should she undergo testing?

Well, I don’t think it harm her. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2002. I had my right kidney removed same year. My Urologist did not recommend any follow up after the surgery. However, my primary care recommended an abdominal CT scan with low contrast and a bone scan every 6 months for next 3 years. He may have been over cautious but with those scans they have now picked up a liver legion. I recommend speaking with an oncologist.

I had stage one kidney cancer and had the tumor removed last November. Even though they got all of the cancer my doctor, a urologist requested that I see him 6 months after the surgery and then again 6 months after that. Your wife should be seen, if only to be at peace with the outcome.

Arden

I was diagnosed with Stage III Kidney cancer in March 2003. Went to MD Anderson. Kidney was removed and have been going the MD Anderson for checkups every six months since then. I am now four years out and nothing had changed, BUT the last checkup came up with cancer in the lymph nodes in the lungs. I thought I almost had it made!....

I would highly recommend that you seek check ups every six months.

I wasdiagnosed with kidney cancer very small,not agressive stage 2 this year.I had part of my kidney removed 6 months ago.however,my doctor recomment me to have CT scan,blood test and chest Xray avery 6 month for the first 3 years.get another doctor.

I can't agree more. You should get a doctor who pays more attention to you because it sounds like he does not quite understand the situation. Can you let me know how it goes?

I would definitley have CT Scans and blood tests for a couple years after.
My mom had her kidney removed in July 2008. A year later one blood test and follow up with doctor. At 18 months later she received a letter for a CT Scan. The results were not good. The cancer had spread to her adrenal to her lungs. My mom is now in Stage 4.

I see this post is a year old but I feel the need to respond in case someone else might read this. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer Stage II and had surgical removal of my tumor where I was opened from right front to mid right back. I am scheduled for a baseline MRI in Julu 2012 and will have another every 6 months for 2 yrs I feel this is a good plan to ensure it doesn't return. Definitely need follow up post tumor removal!!