Yesterday I heard that my aunt has acute kidney failure. When I heard that I was terrified because I know that this illness is very dangerous and can be fatal. But then my friend told me that people with acute kidney failure can recover totally. How long is life expectancy with acute kidney failure?

The prognosis for these patients many times is not good because many of the illnesses and underlying conditions that often trigger acute kidney failure are critical. But patients who experience kidney failure as a result of less serious illnesses (like kidney stones or dehydration) have an excellent chance of complete recovery.

First of all I am so sorry to hear that someone in your family has been diagnosed with such difficult condition and that worries you so much. Try not to be stressed about it more than you have to because you need to take care of yourself first so you can take care of others and in this case help your aunt in any way you can.

If your aunt has been diagnosed on time and if she is ready to follow all the doctors’ instructions than she has great chance of complete recovery and normal life. Of course it is essential to know what the cause of your aunt’s condition was. If something like kidney stones or dehydration have caused it than she will probably recover.