My father has a long-term history with kidney problems. He complained on pain and urinary problems. Finally, the doctors said that it is an auto immune disease – chronic renal nephropathy. They said that he is on the third stage of this condition. I have heard there are 5 stages of this illness. What is the prognosis for that fifth and final stage of this condition?

Unfortunately, the fifth stage is the most dangerous one, and it might leave him with only two options and those are dialysis and renal transplant. Both of those prognoses are dangerous and will put him in a hard position. Perhaps the transplantation might even be better. Dialysis is something that has to be done at least twice a week and there is a high risk of getting infected by hepatitis B.

I myself suffered this condition. the 5th phase does include dialysis and a transplant. I am celebrating my 5th year of transplant survival today. It's a hard road, but have faith. There are support groups in your area. The best action to be proactive is to educate yourself. Be strong.