I have a friend who likes to read newspapers all the time. Last thing she wanted to share with me is some new research she read. She said some women suffer of lack of hormone called estrogen. I have no idea about this, and she could not give me better explanation beside it could lead to depression. Since my mother is bad mood lately, I want to hear more about problem with lack of estrogen.

The last study about lack of estrogen that I know was about breast cancer patients. It is confirmed they may face an increased risk of depression because of treatment that disrupts their bodies' supplies of estrogen. Dysphoria, insomnia and hot flashes were almost universal in women whose breast cancer treatment induced estrogen deficiency. The rather abrupt change in estrogen adds to other adverse side effects of adjuvant chemotherapy and presents another difficulty for these patients. The researchers selected 21 breast cancer patients likely to develop estrogen deficiency. The scientists conducted interviews regularly for an average of 18 months after beginning treatment with chemotherapy. Thirty-eight percent of women developed major depression, most in the first six months of treatment. Among the six post-menopausal women, four became depressed, when stopped taking estrogen replacement therapy, at that time. Three of the eight patients with depression recovered fully after treatment with antidepressant medication. However, the major depressive disorder, once identified, may be responsive to therapeutic psychopharmacologic treatment, despite the lack of estrogen.