Hi, my mom has been diagnosed with pagent’s breast disease. The diagnosis was so shoking because we thought it was just a severe eczema phase or something. My mom has always had skin problems and we thought it is eczema when her breast started flaking. She didn’t make too much of it because she was used to flaking but then she started leaking milky fluid from her nipple and decided to see a doctor. We never suspected she could have cancer especially because we have no cancer cases in our family. I am really interested about the course of treatment and would like to know if she will have to have her breast removed. Thank you for your time

Hi there! I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I will try to give you some info regarding the treatment of the paget’s disease. It will actually depend on the presence of an underlying breast cancer, if the cancer is DCIS or an invasive tumour and on the fact how much of the breast is affected. Surgery is the treatment for paget’s. Brest removal again depends on the cancer spread within the breast and lymph nodes in the armpit. If she will need to remove her breast, she can always have a reconstruction during the same procedure or some months after. Breast may be conserved if the cancer has affected only the nipple and small part of the area around it. In this case, she may only have to have her nipple and some of the surrounding tissue removed. Surgery may be followed by chemotherapy, radiation therapy or hormonal therapy. Radiotherapy is used in cases where the breast was saved so that any left cancer cells are destroyed. Chemotherapy are drugs used to destroy cancer cells.