My sister is in stage III colon cancer and she doesn’t receive chemo anymore. I don’t think that’s right, I think she should be getting all the time. Am I right? Anyway, I read some article about patients with stage III or C colon cancer treated with fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy. Who can explain me this?

I am not a doctor but it sound weird that she doesn’t receive chemo anymore. Adjuvant chemotherapy is the use of one or more anti-cancer drugs following surgery for the treatment of cancer. It seems that most f the patients treated with fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy had benefits from it. I did some readings too. My husband is colon cancer sufferer, stage III, and what I read is that Patients treated with fluorouracil and low-dose Leucovorin for 6 months had a better or similar outcome to the other chemotherapy regimens. The other regimens used higher doses of chemotherapy drugs with an increase in associated side effects or a longer duration of treatment 12 months. Taken together, adjuvant fluorouracil/Leucovorin chemotherapy treatment following surgical resection of patients with stage III (C) colon cancer clearly improves a patient's chance of cure. Overall shows survival with minimal side effects from treatment.