I recently donated some money to breast cancer research. My grandmother, who died five years ago, survived breast cancer but I don't think anyone else in my family had it. The leaflet I got from breast cancer research said everyone should be checked for breast cancer every three years, and you should do self checks. This got me thinking, especially because of my grandmother. What is the breast cancer life expectancy?

The good news is that there is an 80 per cent survival rate for women with breast cancer, as long as their breast cancer was discovered in the early stages. That is why there is such an emphasis on the importance of monitoring. If you have not had a check up recently, I would definitely recommend you to get one.

Can I ask what the chances are that somebody who has already had breast cancer once will get breast cancer again? I have a friend who had breast cancer seven years ago. She had a mastectomy in one breast, and the other breast is still intact. She had a cancer scare recently but thankfully it turned out that everything as OK. I can understand she was scared stiff though. Is it realistic to think she is at a much higher risk, especially because she still has one breast?