Hey everyone,

My grandma was recently marked as an inoperable coronary patient. This was very hard for me, it still is very hard for me. The whole family took this as a blow because a few weeks earlier they told us that she could undergo surgery with a small risk of failure.

And now, two days ago, they told her that the surgery would be extremely dangerous, that they can't do nothing for her anymore and they marked her as an inoperable coronary patient. I'm very attached to her and I don't want her to go. I want you to tell me what is life expectancy for an inoperable coronary patient?

Hi Joy,

We can't answer your question.  We don't know her full history or her current condition.

Ask the doctor.

Hi Dan,

I only know that her condition is at that stage when nothing more can be done for her. The doctors told her already about how much time does she have left but she won't tell us, and she told the doctor not to tell us, too. She told us "live like I'm going to be gone tomorrow". 

I know that she has a severe angina. A found an information on the internet that an average life expectancy is less than five years in patients with symptomatic heart failure, while 90 percent of those with advanced disease have survival rates of a year.

Hey Health n Joy,

I don't know is it just me but it's kind of weird for someone to tell you how long is your grandma going to live. 

Actually, my grandma too had a severe angina and the first time she went to see her doctor, he sent her to do some tests and they told her that she was an inoperable coronary patient. She never told us that, she just said that there were no treatment options for her available and that she was going to be just fine. She lived a year and 4 months after that time when she went to see her doctor.

Hey everybody,

I think that Medic Dan might have a point here, it's hard to tell if we don't know her current condition or her medical history.

But I have to say that I'm not really optimistic about your grandma here. You see, medicine has progressed a lot, and I mean, a lot. There is only a small number of things that cannot be treated in at least one way. When it comes to coronary patients, only a small, extremely small number of patients happen to be inoperable coronary patients. That means that their condition is pretty bad and the life expectancy after you were told that you were an inoperable coronary patient usually isn't more than 2 years.

Joy,

Doctors can be wrong about how long someone can live.

That the doctors are saying that the procedure is dangerous suggests that they are taking a realistic approach to her health. With ANY procedure there is a risk. There needs to be a determination of will the benefits outweigh those risks. In this case, it seems not.

Again, I'd like to give you a specific answer but we know absolutely nothing about your grandmothers health.

Respect her desires to not tell you. Cherish the time you have.

Good luck.

Hi everybody,

You aren't necessarily right, Adria. Although you have a good point of view, there actually are a few conditions which cannot be treated in any way and are still not so dangerous, meaning that it doesn't have to mean that these people won't live to be a hundred or something, even though it's rare.

You can never know this for sure, Health n Joy, so I would advise that you forget about it and just live like everything's normal. I believe that your grandma would appreciate that, too. Show her the love you feel towards her every day and go make some more memories with her.

Hello everyone,

I will agree with Medic Dan and Alan on what they wrote.

First of all, you cannot possibly know how long is your grandma going to live. So, even if someone told you a specific number, you would just be in constant fear that your grandma is going to die in that number of days or years, which won't even be true.

Secondly, like Medic Dan told you, respect her desires not to tell you. I honestly think that you have a wise grandma and that she knows what's best for all of you. Enjoy the time you have left with her.

Hey there.

Look, I agree with medic dan that it is very hard to answer properly on your question since we don’t know nothing about history disease. It is very important and I am pretty sure that you don’t know a lot about it as well. I will tell you what I know, since my friend had the same problem. But I need to tell you that he never had any bigger problems in his life, so when he was diagnosed (and that was 11 years ago), until now he is feeling fine.

In his case life expectancy is very good.

Here is my experience. My grandmother was inoperable coronary patient when she was 81 years old. She was pretty old lady and doctors told me that she would not be able to live more than three months. And she died almost 6 years after this. As you can see, no one from us, not even doctors can tell you what is life expectancy for inoperable coronary patients. They can make a mistake, no matter do they know the history of patient disease or not. It is very hard to prognoses it and they usually make a mistake. It was in my grandmothers case.

Hello everyone. I can see that a lot of you have different experience with this disease. And now I really don’t know what to think because I wanted to ask you very similar question. Well, my grandpa got this diagnose and we don’t know what to do. He is not that old, he is 67 years old and we all are worried. He was never sick before and this is his first bigger health issue. That is why I believe that everything is going to be ok with him, but I can't tell. So I was hoping that you can tell me how long he can live with proper treatment?

Hey everyone. Look Aurora Borealis, I already told you up there that it is very hard to give a right prognosis. My grandmother lived a long after doctors predicted her death but she was sick before and I can see that your grandfather is not that sick. With the proper treatment he can live nice life and he can live more than 10 years, I am sure at this. But still I have to tell you that you should listen to Medic Dan's advice about telling your grandpa about this disease. He doesn’t need to know about this a lot. Let him have nice life Aurora. He will be happy.