This is a purely hypothetical question - I don't have brain cancer, as far as I am aware, and nor do I know anybody else with this disease. I do watch Grey's Anatomy and House, and other similar programs sometimes, and brain cancer is a thing that often comes up, probably because it makes for edge-of-your-seat episodes. On these shows, the doctors often turn out to be the rescuing heroes to operate and cure the brain cancer. Does this ever happen? What is the average life expectancy for people with brain cancer?

I have read that the survival rates for all types of brain cancer are around 35 percent. What this means is that 35 percent of those who were diagnosed with brain cancer will live for more than five years, with the clock starting to tick at the time the diagnosis was first made. Survival rates are different depending on the type of brain tumor (primary or secondary) , a person's ethnicity, gender... and more. I guess the quality of the treatment received also comes in there somewhere, though you never do see that mentioned.