I know that huntington's disease is an adult onset condition, and that most huntington's disease patients only know they have the condition when they are already in their late thirties, or even in their forties. I still wonder if huntington's disease affects a person's life expectancy? What can you say about this?

Hello there Lorie,

Well when it comes to the Huntington’s disease you have wrote few facts. In addition to that I would like to add that this is condition which is usually appearing in mid age, somewhere around 40s and 50s. Unfortunately this is hereditary condition so if your mother has it you need to test yourself.

This condition is connected with the damage of brain cells and these results in movement, cognitive and psychiatric disorder. There are medications which can help in reducing the symptoms but there is no cure.

And answer to your question is that average life expectancy for the person who has been diagnosed is about 15 years. I hope that this was helpful.

I have witnessed this disease take my sister inlaw's Mother in her early forties. Then my sister inlaw, after seeing her Mother, Grandmother, and Aunts go through the disease, took her own life when she was in her early forties. Now my niece, (her daughter) who is 42 years old and showing advanced stages of the disease, is struggling just to walk and feed herself. Her Uncle in his fifties can still walk somewhat, but unable to talk legible and has anger issues. It seems in this family, the normal life expectancy is between 40 and 60. Women don't have as long a life expectancy than men. I am not sure if that is confirmed or not, this is what I have been told, that if a woman has had children, it speeds up the disease.