Hi, guys. My sister in law has been just diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I don’t know much about this disease, but I know it is a serious one. Can anyone tell me something more about the life expectancy for the patients with this disease? Your help is more than welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. You are right. MS is a vicious disease. However, medical science progresses and nowadays life expectancy for these patients is much longer than in the beginning of the 20th century. In the 1930’s only 8% of the patients survived 20 years after the onset of the disease. In the 1960’s about 80% of the patients survived this period. Nowadays, these patients live as the healthy people minus seven years. I am not sure about the quality of life. You should consult a neurologist for more details. Good luck with all. Bye!

I have had MS for 20 years now - I was diagnosed at the age of 30 - and I would not call it a vicious disease. It certainly CAN be, but it is not in many cases. A diagnosis of MS should not be seen as a devastating thing. One just needs to learn how to modify their life in order to accommodate symptoms. MS only affects life expectancy in a peripheral manner. For example, someone with MS may be more prone to bladder infections, which might lead to kidney infections, which might affect life expectancy. The stress of living with MS may affect life expectancy. If MS results in someone needing a wheelchair, the issues resulting from being sedentary may affect life expectancy. 

Have you seen what MS did to Annette Funicello?