Hello, folks. My friend has been recently administrated to the hospital. She complained on shortness of breath and dizziness, but it seems that she is diagnosed pulmonary hypertension. I wonder whether this is possible to be diagnosed in a younger person. I would appreciate if someone could answer me. Thanks, guys!

Hello. Pulmonary hypertension is a higher blood pressure in pulmonary circulation. This circulation starts after right ventricle, goes through lungs and ends up in left atrium. Pulmonary hypertension is a result of a constriction of blood vessels that supply lungs with blood. This condition can be caused by many heart or lung diseases. Those are: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, left ventricle failure, scleroderma, pulmonary embolism, etc. If there is no underlying cause in lungs or heart, then we call it primary pulmonary hypertension. In a word, it is a pulmonary hypertension with unknown cause. It is most common for young women. So, this shouldn’t be odd to you that such a condition appears in a young person. I hope your friend will feel better.