Hi, I have been a passionate smoker for twenty years. I always thought that all the studies about the danger that smoking has on health are exaggerated. My health was just perfect, until couple of months ago. That is when I started having breathing difficulties. A friend of mine told me that I might be experiencing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease because of my long years as a smoker. I was wondering if you could tell me what the symptoms of COPD are. Maybe my friend is mistaking.

Hi, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a very serious condition. It is true that long years of smoking can result in COPD. So your friend is probably right. The symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease could be described as breathing difficulties. However, there are specific troubles that can be described. First of all, persistent cough and increased mucus production are the first signs. Also, shortness of breath and wheezing are some of the symptoms of COPD. However, you should know that when the symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease appear the damage to the lungs is already significant and irreparable. If you are experiencing these symptoms you should talk to your doctor who will give an accurate diagnosis. You should also know that there is no cure for COPD. The only thing that will help you feel better is to stop smoking.