Twenty years ago, while being treated for bronchitis, I had a spontaneous pneumothorax. I had to be hospitalized for a few days and was told my lung would "blow up" by itself. I was back to work two weeks later.
My lung specialist told me that it was caused by a congenital bleb on my lung. He said I was born with it.
Fifteen years later I had pneumonia. My doctor had x-rays run and said that I had blebs on both lungs. The pneumonia lasted for over a month. He said it was caused by chronic infiltrate. (?)
It kind of scares me because the docs use terms that "we" generally don't use. I got upset, started crying and asked him if I would eventually die from these blebs. He told me probably not, and not to worry about it.
Needless to say, I am a big time worrier.
I smoked for fifteen years. Haven't touiched one in the last eighteen years. Still, from time to time, I feel a little out of breathe.
I know I shouldn't worry about this, but is this considered COPD?
I'm only 48 years old.
Thanks for any help!!

Both my father and my younger brother have what the doctors told them was "Grand Blebs Disease." They also told us it was congenital. My father was a heavy smoker and has been in the hospital twice in last month with collapsed lungs. They are going to remove his blebs. My brother is still a heavy smoker, and they had to remove part of his lung. My other brother, however, smokes and has not had it. And I have no blebs on my lungs, and I have never smoked. Our pediatrician told us that my son would most likely not develop any blebs until he was in his 40s. There is something called Birt Hogg Dube Syndrome (BHD) which has these symptoms and is a genetic disease. There are other factors too. My son has asthma and has had septic pneumonia, so we are watching him, because these conditions trigger blebs. You are no alone, but ehre is not a lot of information out there on this subject. Hope this helps.

I am a 36 year old woman.Seven years ago I went to King's Island and rode all the rides,twice.The last ride was dropzone and after that ride i hurt severely in my chest and kept headaches alot and stayed exausted,then later i had a bad fall and hit the concrete pretty hard,i kept going to the hospital complaining for months about these symptoms and they kept saying i had bronchitis,then one morning on my way to work the pain got so my bad my supervisor to me to the er.My lung collapsed (60%) they put a chest tube in and sent me home which later collapsed again and i had to go back,they put another tube in on the side this time and i was in the hosp. for 2 wks. in my hometown,they never could get it to heal so they sent me to another hospital,when i got there it collapsed again they finally run more tests and told me i had blebs disease and the ride at king's island (dropzone) contributed to the collapse,my lung collapsed around 13 times all together i had 8 chest tubes and surgey,they removed almost half my lung,in total i was in the hospital for 3 months. I have not been the same since then,i have chronic pain from all the scar tissue,8 places on my side and 3 incisions on my back,plus scarring from other surgeries but all in all i am fine besides the pain. They said it could do it again if i got on a plane or ride anything where the pressure changes,or smoke. They said i could have been born with it as well it's just hard to tell.