Why is Ipatropium bromide used with albuteral

Hi:

Those two drugs can serve different purposes. Ipatropium bromide is used primarily to prevent spasms in the bronchial tubes and to help with a runny nose. Albuteral is a general treatment to restricted airways, i.e. asthma, etc. Albuteral dilates the airways. Slight differences can make a difference it seems. My son was diagnosed with asthma as a small child. He is now 23 and it has been a life-long experience with asthma drugs. However, he and I have learned to appreciate everyone of them. What's your experience?

Combivent is prescribed for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) if they are already taking one airway-opening medication and need another. Ipratropium quells airway-closing spasms in the bronchial walls. Albuterol relaxes the muscles in the walls, permitting them to expand. When used together, the two ingredients provide more relief than either can do alone.

Are you personally taking this combined medication, and if so, how is it working for you? My father has been on the same medication and it is a great combination for him.