I had a chest xrays done due to bronchitis. It reads "There are linear densities seen in the left and right lower lung fields from mildly chronic disease". What could this mean? I am a smoker. My doctor has referred me to a specialist

Hello BCLAEYS,

Your doctor has indicated that you have linear densities in the left and right lower parts of the lungs.  The phrase linear densities refers to lines or streaks that are seen on the X-ray.  These generally indicate that you had some disease there sometime earlier.  It doesn't tell you what you had just that something happened there.  These streaks are remnants (scar tissue) from your immune system fixing the area.  At the moment, you have nothing to worry about because your immune system took care of it.  Being referred to a specialist is probably just a precaution.  So, just relax.  Given that you are a smoker,  may I suggest you quit ASAP. 

Thank you soooooo much.