ok, so i started to notice sebaceous prominence on my penis about 6 months ago. (im sixteen years old, have had pubic hair on my penis for about a year and a half, and i am starting to grow thin facial hair and underarm hair.)

about a month ago, i noticed 1 sebaceous prominence spot on the left side of the shaft that was a little bigger than the others. 4 days ago, a red smooth red bump started to grow under it.

looked like this:

the next day, there apeared to be a whitehead pimple there. the day after that (2 days ago) it became a little sore when you pressed down on it. (exactly like a pimple on the face feels)

looked like this

then, yesterday when i woke up, it looked like the white part of the white head fell off, and there was a little dimple on the top of the pimple-ish bump. it freaked me out because it kind of looked like the pictures of primary syphillus i have seen. but its not very big at all. i just measured it and the rim of the depression is only about a 1/16th of an inch wide.

I DID NOT TAKE ANY OF THESE PICTURES, AND NONE OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY ME!

today the redness started to go away, but the crater is still there.

it kind of looks like a small, less irritated version of this, which i read was a boil:

and now i dont see the original sebaceous prominence that was there before the red bump appeared.

so am i just overreacting, and could it just be something puberty has caused?

i think i have the same thing. Mine is like a crater too but under all the "junk".... it is open and just wont heal and sounds just like yours.... i think its just a spot thats hard for things to heal in. (i hope) good luck man

The small crater the second poster describes is a chancre, and is a primary sign of syphillus. It is not supposed to hurt, in fact, that is what can be so deceiving about it. Go get it checked out right away. It can be cured, at this stage, with a dose of penicillin. Very easy! Don't let it progress to cardiovascular or neural syphillus, which is when things can dangerous. AND please DON'T think it is a hard spot for "things to heal in." Go to your friendly neighbourhood doctor right away.

Can I ask the original poster what the issue was? I am 26 and have the exact same thing - a single pimple-like spot on the shaft, white head, slightly red and raised around it, 3 to 5mm across, and slightly painful... just like a spot on the face. I've never had anything like this before, have only ever had sex with my long-term girlfriend, and neither of us have an STD. I'm a little freaked out, especially at the last post suggesting syphilis! 

What did it turn out to be? Anything severe i have the same thing and freaking out about it.

I think that if it is a crater it may be the primary stage of syphilis but if there is just a pimple and not a crater then youre good. Someone confirm this im not sure

I've had that, and I went to the my STD doctor and told me, that IS NOT SYPHILIS, since that STD never start growing in that way. He test me and I'm negative, so relax boy.

I have a whitehead on the shaft also. It started with a very small, skin color ball. After having sex for one time, it became larger with a white head. it hurts very little, but freaking me out. Any help please?