Hi, I have a fifteen years old daughter who, I think abuses my pain killers. I was prescribed Loratab 10 few weeks ago because I broke my leg and I am in a lot of pain. I didnt notice it at first, but now I am sure that there are pills missing from the container. What is the substance in Loratab that could be abused? Is my daughter an addict?

Hi, you have every right to worry about your daughter if she is indeed taking your Loratab pills. Basically, there are two components in Loratab that make it an effective pain killer. The first one is a narcotic analgesic called hydrocodone and the second one is a non narcotic pain killer acetaminophen. Hydrocodone is often abused because of its ability to cause euphoria. It is habit forming and can be addictive. That is why Loratab can be abused by drug addicts. Acetaminophen in Loratab can be very toxic. In high concentrations, it can cause serious liver damage. Besides analgesic effects, acetaminophen is combined with hydrocodone to prevent Loratab abuse. You should talk to your daughter about your suspicions and explain to her the dangers of Loratab abuse. If this fails, talk to your doctor and ask him to prescribe you another non narcotic analgesic drug.