I have long-term problem with coughing. My doctor prescribed me Hydrocodone, but also he mentioned Oxycodone. I wonder if those are same medicines of different name. I have nobody to ask about this, so I need your help because I am confused. Do I have some other problem that I do not know, so I need Oxycodone too?

Hydrocodone is a semi synthetic centrally acting narcotic antitussive. This means it is used and indicated for symptomatic relief of cough. I believe your doctor wonder what is the best for you from those two medicines. Problem with Hydrocodone is that it can produce drug dependence of the morphine type. Therefore, it has the potential for being abused. Hydrocodone can also produce dose-related respiratory depression by directly acting on brain stem respiratory centers. I do not want you to think this happens just with this medicine, because Oxycodone has similar effects. That is also just one more drug that is abused sometimes. Its tablets are used as controlled-release oral formulation for moderate to severe pain when continuous analgesic is needed for an extended period. You did not mention if your symptoms are just cough, or you have pain also, that way it could be easier to understand your doctor’s insecurity.

hydrocodone and oxycodone are similar in analgesic effect, but research shows that oxycodone is generally as effective at 66% of the dosage of hydrocodone-- i.e.

5mg oxycodone= 7.5mg hydrocodone

However, one study, for example in dental application after molar removal , show that oxycodone is significantly more effective.

Actually Oxycodone and Hydrocodone are of the same family of drug. they are codeine based, not morphine.

berget wrote:

Problem with Hydrocodone is that it can produce drug dependence of the morphine type. Therefore, it has the potential for being abused.

Um oxy's and hydro's are related both to codine and morphone. Oxy,s and hydro,s are synthetic variations of codeine, well all three share similiar molecular structure to morphine. In fact hydro's have been found to have pain re leaving properties almost equal to that of morphine. So to say one or another is different is absures. I apologize for typos, as I typed this on my blackberry. But something not mentioned that should have been was to check with your doctor, all these questions can be answered 100 percent by him

Oxycodone and Hydrocodone are both derived from Codeine. It is important to note that there are three main alkaloids found in opium, and thus opioid drugs. Thebaine, Morphine, and Codeine.

Note that Oxycodone is metabolized into noroxycodone and oxymorphone, never into morphine. Oxycodone, noroxycodone and oxymorphone all bond to mu-Opioid receptors without being metabolized into morphine.

Hydrocodone is similar in that it is metabolized into norhydrocodone, conjugated hydrocodone, 6-hydrocodol, and 6-hydromorphol. Never morphine.

All opioid drugs carry a cross-tolerance despite differences in the actual opioid used. This is due to all these drugs binding to the same mu-opioid receptors in the brain and body.

Both Oxycodone and Hydrocodone are very similar. What is most important and not mentioned by anyone here is that both drugs have a high risk of dependency even if taken as directed and a higher risk of addiction if abused.

There is a difference between dependency and addiction.

Some patients respond better to Hydrocodone for pain reduction. The reason for this is unknown.

I have never heard of Oxycodone being prescribed for a cough. Not that it matters as that question was posted in 2005.

Hydrocodone is a semisynthetic narcotic analgexic prepared from Codeine.
Oxycodone is a semisynthetic narcotic analgesic prepared from thebaine, a minor constituent of opium.

Aspirin can be abused.