Users comments and reviews on article Review of 10 most used pain killers by SirGan

This is pure c**p. Opioids always get you hooked. Even mild ones such as codeine. Sure, they take the pain away, but they also are very pleasure to take drugs, and in short time you create tolerance and need to increase the dosage to "feel" good again, and that leads to heavy addiction, that when you are not on the opioids, you cant function as you normally used too. And the withdraw sindrome is bad, and after you start on this road, even after recovery, you never be the same, you will always crave it.

Doctors should be more direct to patients when prescribing this kinds of drugs (opiates such as codeine or hydrrocodone)

I was very surprised to see that you had posted marijuana on here but yes it is very effective as a painkiller so I suppose I'm not that surprised. I know that not all opoids are totally addictive. When I had my teeth pulled, I was put on codeine and I didn't really suffer any withdrawal symptoms so I think it's important to realize that everyone has a different experience. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

These drugs are effective when used as prescribed.

I am a chronic pain sufferer, for three years I took perkocet tens to help with my back. As time went on i found myself taking more and more to get the same "feeling" that they gave me in the beginning. The almost euphoric feeling became addictive. The truth is they became such a problem that it literally ruined my family life and the business that I owned. Im telling this just to make others aware. The withdrawals are almost unbearable and I wouldnt wish them upon anyone. If you are considering narcotic pain relief the best advice is take them as instructed and carefully.

I think that's very good advice because it can be very difficult to deal with withdrawal symptoms and that's really important to realize. Thank you for your insight and I hope you consider opening a thread of your own to discuss what you went through. Thanks again!

I would just like to clarify something:

People in an amazing amount of pain generally will not take the medication to receive euphoria. I, personally, have been on methadone for 2 years, and since then, was moved to morphine. I have been on the same dosage, 15 mg as needed for breakthrough and 2 12 hour 20 mg tablets, for over 2 years now. I have not had to increase my dosage, and I still feel relief from the same amount I had before. Eventually the euphoria goes away, but the pain relief does NOT. Yes it is possible to get addicted to the euphoria, I suppose; But this is possible with ANY drug you use that might offer a "high".

One last thing-

People need to understand that there is a BIG difference between being ADDICTED to a drug and being DEPENDANT on the drug. I am dependant on morphine; this means that I will suffer withdrawals if I were to stop cold turkey. I am not an addict, as I use the medication as prescribed. There is a BIG difference and the people who compare chronic pain sufferers with "heroin" or street users/drugs are VERY MUCH MISINFORMED. It is thought patterns like that that make it harder for legitimate people to receive the pain relief that is needed.

Can you explain a little more about the difference between addiction and dependance? I don't think I fully understand and it would help me to understand the difference if you explained it. Thanks!

Guest that wrote on 8/8/07 is incorrect. Once you start taking these meds as prescribed you are not more likely to be addicted than anyone else. Simply not true.
I've a host of medications that contain codeine, none of them am I addicted to. I use as needed for pain that I've got.
I have several discs that are in trouble in my back, early onset arthritis, and bone spurs riddled throughout my body---I should note that I'm only 39 and have been dealing with this in the last 5 years only. I've had several surgeries in the last 5 years as well, been put on codeine-based drugs and not reacted well with them. Side-effects I've found to be intolerable for me have been the itchy, creepy-crawly skin feeling and unable to fall asleep. My back seems to have a mind of its own and hurts whenever it feels like it. This can put me down for weeks at a time, then go months without incident. I refuse to have any more shots in my back after my last experience, and they seem to have a very limited effect to none at all. Very frustrating for me. The longest one of these spinal injections lasted was 2 weeks. The shortest was 3 days---and that was the x-ray guided one.
I'd love to be able to find an effective painkiller that does not have the itchy, creepy-crawly skin feeling or the tingly limbs. Sadly, all I've found are steroid-based and codeine-based drugs---both of which have undesirable side-effects.

Don't listen to people who can't even spell syndrome . They're full of pure c**p. You'd have to be pretty desperate to get hooked on codeine. I've been on Oxycontin ( for chronic pain ) for 4 years and haven't increased my dose or abused it.

I have been on many different kinds of pain killers for 33 years. i have also smoked pot for many many years. i have never abused pain killers and i am not addicted to pot. I have quite pot for 3 years at a time and i am presently not smoking pot. i feel that if you are truely in pain, then the meds work to relieve the pain and you don't feel high from it. i use to be addicted to cocaine base in 1984 and smoked that for 3 years and haven't touched it since or anything else, besides pot, that wasn't prescribed to me. i don't allow anything to run my life but myself.

yes, pain killers are addictive, as is alcohol. What those of you who don't have a clue about severe chronic pain for decades, you obviously haven't experienced this type of suffering. And when all other tratments fail, people like you thin it is ok to just lie in bed until they die. Some people have opinions and don't have any experience nor education. Ignorance is bliss. And most doctors see pain patients but really don't have a clue about this kind of pain. If tylenol 3 helps pain, then you don't need it. You chould be strong enough to use other methods and go drug free. Same with vicodin. The only people who need real effective pain meds is ones who suffer 24/7 365, can't function, and all other options have failed. And for people who still think pain killers shouldn;t be used fr any reason are ignorant, stupid, and are way way out of reality.

First of all, you don't have to be desperate to get addicted to any major painkiller. It's almost like you are implying that people intentionally get hooked on them. I have seen plenty of good, decent people with well rounded lives get addicted to painkillers. Here is a good article on some reasons that this can happen:

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Secondly, I don't know who you are talking about but just because someone can't spell "syndrome" doesn't mean what they have to say isn't valid. Personally, I can do fine in most subjects, but spelling is something that I have always noticed is not my strong point. Our brains all work differently and there is only so much room in our heads, everyone has their weak points. Einstein, for example, was very bad at forgetting mundane things like his keys but obviously he had a lot of talent in other areas. Anyways, I know this has nothing to do with this article I just notice this is said a lot.

I have been on Anamorph 30mg tablets for a year. It drove me crazy always going to the doctors getting scripts[ the same doctor i may add] finally i was put on a pain management, and i just got my first repeat script for a month at a time. I know they are very addictive but they have made my life so good, i want to be here now. I was living in hell THESE TABLETS have changed my whole life the best drug i have ever been given by my doctor.

Well hello people.
I have taken just about every narcotic pain killer you can think of or read about ever since my wreck with a semi, my weakness (or favorite) is OxyCotin 80mg. They make life with pain.... painless =p But i will freely admit to anyone, I was addicted in the worst of ways. If i ran out early i felt like i wanted to jump off a skyscraper. It became more important than just about anything in my life. I once lived with a crack abuser, and severe pain killer addiction seems to have the same properties as crack addiction. I was reading a few articles some time ago, was just researching what happens in our brain when we take narcotic pain killers, and stumbled on this: (paraphrasing) Narcotic pain killers such as OxyCotin have alternate uses as well as being analgesic. For example studies have shown that low dopamine levels can cause depression in many people, narcotic pain killers have been proven to RAISE the users dopamine levels. Now what im getting at is there are many anti-depressants out there and if you study any of them, the pharmaceutical company that distributes them are UNABLE to give an accurate scientific reason why their anti-depressant works. They just hypothesize. Ok back to the analgesics. When your dopamine is raised, it makes you happy, when raised to much, it makes you "high" but there have also been studies on depressed subjects, given narcotic pain killers, and it completely alleviates depression, anxiety, nervousness.. So i guess what im saying is there are many pros and cons that people can argue about for days, months, years, and so on. I truly think if people stick to the allotted regimens and do not take more, you can live a happy pain/depression free life =p

Oh yes, another study: There are ways to prevent your tolerance with pain medications from raising.
Alternate your days for taking them. This may be hard on some severe pain victims, but it can be done. example: if you are allotted 3 orally daily then take 3 one days and 1 the next never more then allotted. even if you can take 3 one day then 2 the next and 1 last and keep repeating.
It just gives your body just a tad bit of time to regulate your own dopamines.