I know that Lovastatin is used with diet changes, or restriction of cholesterol and fat intake. I know this since I am prescribed with this medicine, with purpose to reduce the amount of cholesterol and certain fatty substances in the blood. However, I have to admit that is all I know about this drug I am going to use. Since I wish to find out more, I would like you to give me indo about Lovastatin.

Lovastatin is in a class of medications called HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors or statins. This medicine works by slowing the production of cholesterol in the body, as you already know. Buildup of cholesterol and fats along the walls of the blood vessels is a process known as atherosclerosis. This might decreases blood flow and, therefore, the oxygen supply to the heart, brain, and other parts of the body. Since this is definitely not desirable, Lovastatin is used to lower blood levels of cholesterol and fats. This may help to prevent heart disease, angina, or chest pain, strokes, and heart attacks. Lovastatin comes as a tablet and an extended-release tablet to take by mouth, depends which your doctor found better for you. The regular tablet is usually taken once or twice a day with meals, while the extended-release tablet is usually taken once a day in the evening at bedtime. Your doctor may start you on a low dose of Lovastatin and gradually increase your dose, not more than once every 4 weeks, so you have to understand it is needed to continue with Lovastatin even if you feel well. Lovastatin may cause side effects as any other drug, and you should tell your doctor if this symptom is severe or does not go away.