Good day everyone. My name is Danielle and I am 61 year old. I was always healthy but yesterday my doctor told me that I have high cholesterol levels. I know how dangerous it can be, I know that it can affect my heart and trust me that is the last thing that I want because I had really good and quality life in these 61 years. He told me that I should not be that worried but he told me that he needs to prescribe some medication for me. He gave me atorvastatin drug. I am wondering how this drug can help me against high cholesterol? 

Good day there Danielle. I am sure that your doctor keeps this under control, so I believe that you should listen everything that he tells you because it is best for you. Treating high cholesterol levels sometimes can be complicated especially because you are an older lady, but I am sure that atorvastatin drug will help you in this. This drug is in the group that is called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors. It reduces levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, while it increases the levels of good cholesterol.

Tell me, do you feel any changes in your body?

Hello there. Darling, thank you so much for quick answer. Yes, that is my doctor for almost three decades and I do trust him. I am sure that he is going to keep this under the control but I am still scared. And I have already explained to you why. I am worried about one thing as well - am I going to face with some side - effects when I start to use this medication? Trust me, I think that I was using only aspirin in my whole life, i never was using anything like that or something that is for that kind of diseases. i am sure that this medicine can help me, but I am wondering how it can increase levels of good cholesterol?
Thank you so much.

Good day Danielle.

Look, I understand your concern.

But I am sure that if you start to feel some side – effects that are really bad you should tell your doctor about this and I am sure that he is going to find the alternative for you. But like I already told you I believe that everything will be just fine.

It is actually very simple. It reduces the amount of cholesterol that is made by your body. It does this by blocking the action of a certain enzymes which is needed to make cholesterol. Like I told you, this medicine lowers your risk of heart and blood vessel disease. It reduces also the risk of heart disease for everyone.

Hello. Yes, I do understand what you are trying to tell me. But I don't believe that much in medications, I don't believe that they will be able to help me and that is why I am asking you so many question. Maybe I am an old - fashioned lady who doesn't trust any medications, but I was dealing with any kind of disease very successfully and I was eating healthy food almost my entire life. That is why I still don't believe that I need to use this medicine to lower down my cholesterol levels.
Is there any other option to deal with it?
Thx and I am sorry for being boring.

I ve been taking statins for 20 years since my bypass surgery and Atorvastatin since it came off patent protection. It works for me with no side effects but my wife cannot take any statins. Her cholesterol is very high and we worry about that constantly but it runs in her family. The side effects she gets is terrible muscle pain. It's very difficult to reduce cholesterol by reducing your intake of it because what you eat has little to do with your production of cholesterol. It is produced in your body by your body and is hardly affected by the amount you consume.

Hi Guest,

Atorvastatin is used to treat high cholesterol and to lower the risk of stroke, heart attack or other heart complications in people with diabetes type 2, coronary heart disease or other risk factors. Anyone who is above 10 years old can use this medication. However, pregnant women, or people with liver disease shouldn't use this medication.

Your doctor is going to tell you for how long to use this medication and what should your dosage be. You need to pay attention to what your doctor is saying because you need to take the correct dosage and you mustn't use it longer than you are supposed to.

Hey everyone,

It is also very important not to miss a single dose of this drug. I mean, if you do, it's not the end of the world but it will lower its effects significantly. Also, if you overdose, be sure to immediately call the poison help line or seek emergency medical attention.

You also need to be on a low cholesterol diet while taking atorvastatin. This medication will have its effects significantly lowered if you are not paying attention to what you are eating. You also have to avoid drinking alcohol since it can cause additional complications and you need to avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.

Hi everybody,

This medication has some bad side effects as well, like all other medications, it doesn't differ from them when it comes to this matter. If you have signs of an allergic reaction to atorvastatin, you should get emergency medical help, these signs include hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat.

This medication can rarely cause your kidneys to fail. It can also be the cause of other kidney problems, liver problems which result in nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, feeling tired, loss of appetite, dark urine and this medication can also cause signs of a stroke.