Hello, I’m 45 years old, male. Recently, my blood tests were shown that my levels of cholesterol and tryglicerides in blood were higher than normal. I feel well generally, am a little bit overweight, but my blood pressure is normal. My doctor suggested me to start with naspan that can have positive effect on cholesterol levels in blood. Can you tell me something about this medication? As I saw Naspan is b vitamins complex, and it does not sound to me like can be from help.

Naspan is not vitamin supplement; it is not used to prevent deficiencies in niacin and b vitamins. Doses of niacin in niaspan are higher and have effect on cholesterol levels. This drug is prescribed along with diet, exercise and sometimes statins to lower cholesterol. Statins are also drugs that are indicated in high cholesterol levels, but with number of side effects. Niaspan tablets are extended released and can not be replaced with other forms of niacin in supplements. Doses of niacin in niaspan are much higher than these recommended as rda, and are therapeutic in this condition.