Hi all. I’ve had elevated liver enymes for six years. App 1 year ago, I went to doctor because I wasn't feeling well and I found out that my alkaline phosphataes were 260, ALT 162 and AST 107. Later I was diagnosed with lupus and I suffer chronic fatigue, chronic pain. As if that was not enough, my hair falls out in patches . My doctor put me prednisone 20 mg and after 5-6 weeks my enzymes returned to normal. My question to you is what could be causing these elevated liver enzymes? Is there any med other than the prednisone that can help me? Thank you.

It appears you have been evaluated thoroughly. I can give some information on elevated liver enzymes, but cannot diagnose you over the Internet. First of all, there are many reasons that can cause elevated liver enzymes. One of those are medications because almost any med can cause an elevation of liver enzymes. Common ones are anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, antiepileptic drugs, and antituberculous drugs. Another cause is an alcohol abuse – one study confirmed liver disorders in 90%.
Of course, diseases also cause this, and the most common are Hepatitis, Muscle disorders, Thyroid disorders, Celiac disease, Adrenal insufficiency, Autoimmune hepatitis, Wilson's disease and Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency.
As you can see there are several non-liver disease that can cause elevated liver. These are some possibilities you could present to your personal physician for further evaluation. Hope this helps.