stubborn high numbers you can't get down?? (or up)

my husband has struggled with this his entire life and, as some of you know, had an MI when he was 37. He has always been active; very good weight/low body fat but still could not lower the cholesterol even with statin drugs (at one time he was one two at a time which can be lethal). 8O and we still looked at 200+ numbers. :x

he has recently switched cardios and has been put on Zetia and Welchol. His last two readings have been 150 total and excellent lipid profiles for the first time in his life. These drugs are amazing and if you are struggling with numbers, ask your doctor about either of these. They work in the stomach; do not affect the liver as Statins do.

his results are amazing; even the doctor is 8O . He has actually added fats to his diet over this period as well - he eats fish and limited chicken and turkey. Lots of nuts and (as always) beer and red wine.

it is amazing how some people can chomp on lard all day and maintain a low cholesterol yet people like mark can look at bacon and the cholesterol goes up. Good that the drugs are working

My husband has high cholesterol and is in excellent shape. His parent's cholesterol is just as bad. When they did the breakdown it was his triglycerides that were off the chart. So he's cut out all juices and alot of sugars. Added extra nuts-almonds. He needs to get tested again to see if it's working. I don't know what drug they put him on but he took himself off of it. The drug altered his moods so bad-he was an angry bear all the time!

My high cholesterol was entirely diet caused. I had a 237. I got it down to the low 160's in just 3 months by watching what I ate. I am very fortunate, I know.

Cut out hamburgers and processed meat products (hotdogs, et al.) switched to skim milk, and used olive or canola oil in everything I cooked. No butter, packaged desserts (have you ever ssen that fat counts in coffee cakes 8O ?)

Zetia is a miracle drug (props to our company...woo hoo!!)!! My dad, as some of you know, had a mild heart attack and a stent put in to unblock a 99% clogged coronary artery two years ago. He's sedentary and overweight but he's been trying to do better--hard to change 65 years' worth of habits though! The docs had him on Pravachol, which is a statin, which did little to nothing, so I suggested he ask them to put him on Zetia, combined with a much lower dose of the Pravachol (this is how it works best). His cholesterol dropped 37 points and is now below 200!! :banana:

The difference between the statins and Zetia is that Zetia works to reduce the amount of cholesterol your body absorbs, while the statins work to try and inhibit cholesterol production by the body, which is why it's important to take them together, as a double attack.

Natural supplements which help lower cholesterol include garlic and Omega-3 fish oil. I have him taking them too!!

Cholesterol is really the thermometer though. I have an uncle in the 300 range, always eats perfectly, and being a mailman had a 6-mile daily walk. Drugs help some, but it's just his chemistry. He's in his late 60s now and in perfect shape, with little arterial plaque I've got to believe.

I am still struggling with my cholesterol. My bad ones are a little high and luckily my good ones are really good so it counteracts. I am over due for my next check. If it still hasnt come down I am going to make a follow-up appointment with my doctor and bring in a sample of what I eat for a 2 week span and see what he says.

Sounds perfect. Goof luck with those numbers!

My sister's doc just diagnosed her with high cholesterol and has told her that it's possible it is exacerbated by stress.

Have you guys heard that? Is that possible? I always thought diet was the culprit in some cases and in others just bum luck. She does have the most stressful life of any one human being I've ever known...

(Had to replace the roof on her last house 3 times in 4 years--not to mention the 2 floods. 8O )

Protein is very important, i don't think animal meat is the problem here. 

I would limit the nuts. Too much omega 6 is not good either.

Drinking alcohol depletes your magnesium stores. Taking medications depletes your magnesium stores. Magnesium is the most important mineral in the entire body. YOU NEED IT FOR ALL FUNCTIONS AND PROCESSES done in the body. That is a serious matter i think:)

I am pretty sure if your husband started taking a really good quality magnesium that is 99% absorbed with getting the laxative effect he would notice a huge improvement. 

I started taking the best one on the market after hunting for a long time. all my body issues went away. I am free now to be healthy & happy.