Hello, I am male who is 45 years old and I have problems with cholesterol. I heard that HDL is good cholesterol. My results for this one are pretty bad. They are too low. Do you have any advice about some ways of raising those results? I would be really grateful. Thank you in advance for every advice.

Greetings, I had problem similar to yours. My levels are better now. I did it with low carbon diet. Around 13 grams of soy or vegetable protein foods can do wonders for you. Taken every day, they can raise levels of HDL and lower total cholesterol. This really sounds good. Beside that I heard about the new drug Niaspan, but I really don't know much about it. This is all I know.

You are 45 or plus man.
Reduce your LDL, below 160
The HDL good cholesterol doesn't must less than 40mg/dl. More it is less, more the risk heart attack increase. Fruits vegetables and high fiber foods can help you

Andris, I feel your pain. I too have suffered from out of wack cholesterol numbers. My total cholesterol wasn't that bad but my LDL was way too high and my HDL was way too low. Over the years, I have gotten them under control through a combined course of diet, exercise, and prescription medications.

Here are the things you can do to help raise your HDL. The side benefit of these things is it will also help with your LDL, triglycerides, and total cholesterol.

1. Aerobic exercise. Any exercise that raises your heart rate for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, at least 3, preferably 5 times a week. Exercise every other day will work just fine.
2. Lose weight.
3. Watch your fat intake. Trans fats are bad. Monosaturated fats are good. I switched to olive oil exclusively. It's about the best thing you can do with regard to fats and oils.
4. Add soluble fiber to your diet. Soluble fibers are found in oats, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, and result in both a reduction in LDL cholesterol and an increase HDL cholesterol. For best results, at least two servings a day should be used. I eat high fiber oatmeal every morning and have a bowl of high fiber cereal every evening.
5. Increase your intake of fish and other foods containing omega-3 fatty acids.
6. If these methods don't do the job, talk to your doctor about prescription medications. Statins, fibrates, niacin