Hello, folks. Several months ago I was discovered high blood levels of cholesterol. I was prescribed diet, but it wasn’t enough to lower it. My doctor prescribed me cholesterol lowering meds. I would like to know how soon cholesterol would go down when taking these meds. Thanks for all your help.

Hi, there. One of the most popular drugs that lower blood cholesterol are statins. They lower LDL cholesterol by blocking HMG-CoA reductase enzyme. In that way they decrease the inner synthesis of cholesterol. These meds are usually used in the evening – around supper or before sleep. When taking these meds, it is important to follow other recommendations – your diet, be physically active, lose weight and remove other coronary risks like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. You can expect first results in lowering cholesterol in about 6 to 8 weeks. Then you will see the levels and whether there is a need for changing dose. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!