What does an abnormally high luteinizing hormone level do to a person, what can we do to counteract this problem. My wife is fighting what has been called ( among many things) an aggravated depression. She feels it is just straight anxiety, not panic attacks, but deep rooted nervous system
malfunction, and she is menopausal, which leads to this line of questioning.

Well, high levels of luteinizing hormone are a very strong sign that there is severe hormonal imbalance present, but mainly regarding the production of female sexual hormones that regulate so many things, from ovulation to onset of menopause. And, as it’s very often the case with hormonal disruptions, besides symptoms that are related directly to the reproductive organs, such as missed or irregular periods, painful periods…etc. hormones can be responsible for causing psychological symptoms such as anxiety or depression.

What I would suggest id to first determine the exact cause of high levels of luteinizing hormone, which would mean that your wife would need to see her gynecologist. Than the next step would be to see if there is also the need to see the doctor in order to get some help for anxiety and depression.

I just made the connection to my moods/emotional state and ovulation. In researching and tracking my swings; they happen like clockwork right before and during ovulation. I'm not sure what to do other than mark my calendar for the wicked roller coaster ride of insecurity, low self esteem and depression so I know it's not actually ME that's nuts, but something my hormones are doing that is greatly effecting my emotional homeostasis. Let me know if you find a panacea or solution to this because it really is terrible. It's like being in someone else's skin quite unexpectedly.

Thanks for posting this. I too, have recently discovered that I experience drastic mood swings around ovulation. For the last two days my mood has been blah but not terrible, and my back has been terribly achey. Yesterday however, I felt like my mood dropped in a matter of an hour, I was in tears on my bed. I too experience low self esteem, insecurity, and depression. This all occurs around days 11-13 of my cycle. Today however, I feel much better. Darn these hormones!

I also think that I am peri-menopausal.