I have been on Yasmin for about 7 yrs. A while later I started having severe panic attacks which I couldnt control. I was then put on Citalopram by my doc which I have been on for 6 years! I have only recently started to question myself the link between Yasmin and my attacks. I have come off Yasmin now about a month ago and am feeling a little more positive, but I feel I have a long way to go still. I really want to get off the Citalopram and start getting on with my life - I am only 27!! Has anyone out there been perscribed these tabs as a result of the side effects of Yasmin?
I Feel like I will never get over this stage in my life!

ok so you will not believe this but i hav the exact problem. and did not correlate between the two until i read your posting. you see i have been on yasmin for 3 years and after two on it i was prescribed citalopram also. I was having severe panic attacks and bouts of depression. I stopped taking the citalopram maybe six months ago. I felt better but just two months ago my anxiety has come back full force. Im thinking it is the Yasmin and not that i have anxiety issues.

I was perscribed Yasmin and took it for almost three months and I am a healthy 28 year old that has never suffered really from anything. One day it just hit me and I had the worst feeling overcome me and I didn't know what it was until I found out I was having a panic attack. I went to the ER on serveral occassions and realized that since this was the only perscription I was taking I stopped taking it and now it has been two months and I switched back to my old pill, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and seems to be leveling out my hormones back to normal. I suggest that if you are thinking of taking this pill, please research and check out other forms of birth control this one ruined my life for a few months I can't imagine how some of these girls on here were taking it for years! I hope all of you are better now and DON'T TAKE YASMIN! It should not be given out to anyone.

I just started taking Yasmin about 1 week ago. On Friday last week I had to call the paramedics because of a severe shortness of breath and many other symptoms. I thought is was a diet pill I was taking but I only took that pill once but am contunuing to take Yasmin. My husband told me to see if maybe my shortness of breath was from the pill. I then started to realioze that all my symptoms go along with anxiety. I just had a baby 2.5 months ago so this was very possible. I was getting ready to call my doctor, when I decided to check to see if anyone else had anxiety while on Yasmin. Now that I know I am not alone I feel confident that I will be able to overcome this problem without having to go on any anxiety pills. Thank you!!

i am 19 and have been taking yasmin for 8 months since i started taking yasmin i have been having panic attacks and completely overreacting to situations i have been getting very upset for silly things. i was prescribed citalopram by my doctor i did ask if any of my moods were related to the yasmin but he said they weren't. i actually decided myself to stop taking the yasmin before i start taking the citalopram incase the yasmin was to blame for my moods, however depression etc runs in my family but fingers crossed the panic attacks and things will go away. my boyfriend asked me about a month after i started taking it if the yasmin was related to my change in behaviour as he had read that birth control pills can be related to severe behaviour changes.

I've only been on yaz for 6 months and the last few ive started to have severe anxiety, which has turned into depression. I was on alesse a few years ago and after i was off of it i suffered a great deal, for almost 3 months i lost 25 pounds, terrible mood swings and it ended a relationship. So i decided to do some research because some doctors don't actually want to tell you everything and try to just force anti-depressants on you which could actually cause more problems so please read this and talk to your doctors.. i defn am IF YOU'VE EXPERIENCED ANXIETY WHILE ON YASMIN, PLEASE READ THIS: I started Yasmin back in Feb. 2004, and started experiencing extreme anxiety & panic attacks a few months later. I didn't put two and two together until October 2004, when I finally discovered this website. I was so relieved to discover that Yasmin had caused my anxiety (also some depression, and some OCD tendencies), and that I was not just losing my mind. I stopped Yasmin immediately, thinking the problem would just go away, but unfortunately, it got worse before it got better. The first three months off Yasmin were hell on earth. The anxiety was unbearable. Then after three months, the anxiety got significantly better. (FYI - it takes 3 months for a BC pill to clear your system. Coincidence? I think not.) After that, I still had some anxiety, usually really severe around the time of my period. I tried relaxation techniques for anxiety, anxiety programs, relaxation CDs, deep breathing, etc., some of which helped, but the anxiety never completely went away. I resorted to taking Xanax as needed. I know my story is very similar to many of yours, so I wanted to share with you what I've learned since then: As time went on, my anxiety got better & better. I usually just had it around the time of my period, and in some social situations. Then, this past Spring, a dear friend of mine (who I met on the forum, by the way) found a doctor who did some tests on her hormone levels & discovered that she had no progesterone. He told her that her own hormone imbalance coupled with the hormones in Yasmin, caused her to have her anxiety problems on Yasmin. He prescribed her some NATURAL PROGESTERONE (not the synthetic stuff), and she started feeling so much better! Seeing her drastic improvement, and admitting to myself that after two years my anxiety wasn't completely gone, I went to the same doctor. He did some blood work & guess what? I had essentially no progesterone as well. He put me on natural progesterone too. I am taking 100 mg. in a capsule form each night. I cannot tell you the difference I have felt. I feel normal again. Think about it - the hormones in Yasmin obviously caused our anxiety. Doesn't it make sense that the problem is inheritently hormonal? I have been helped so much by the ladies on this website, so I wanted to share my story so that if just helps one person, it's worth it. Go to a doctor in your area who specializes in natural hormone management & see what your levels are. In my case & in my friend's case, our anxiety disorders have been the result of a hormone imbalance, one made significantly worse by Yasmin. I hate to see so many people resort to anti-depressants & anti-anxiety meds, when it may be that all they need is to balance their hormones. Best wishes to all of you. Please hang in there, life does get better!

I got off Yasmin abou a month ago after taking it for 7 years and my life has changed dramatcially.

I had severe daily anxiety and at times I would get panic attacks that would affect my daily activities.

I can now eat at a restaurant, drink cofee, and drive on the freeway without any fear!!!

Please ladies, get off this pill!! My dr. prescribed me Xanax and other sleep meds before this, and now I don't even need them..

Yasmin was my prob!! If you are reading this and feel the same way I did, get off this pill!!! It was the best thing I ever did and

my husband is a lot more happier now. I just hope that my cycle becomes regular.

I am 20 and took Yasmin for 3 months. I started feel nauseas constantly and I couldnt eat. I started to lose weight and I was just feeling very weak and not right. So, I stopped taking yasmin a week or so ago part way through a pack. When I stopped I got a second period and then started feeling very emotional, crying constantly, angry, anxious, unstable, suicidal thoughts, confusion, brain fog and I just couldnt function at all for the first week. I am now starting to feel a bit more stable; however, I feel really depressed now and I cant focus. My head hurts constantly and my heart will race and I cant slow it down. At night, Im not able to sleep because my heart is racing so much. My thoughts are repetitive and almost obsessive now. I am seriously considering getting some kind of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant because I cant cope with the constant nagging anxiety I feel. Did anyone else feel this, how long did it last and do you suggest some kind of pill to help cope with the anxiety? Thanks.

I am really pleased to have found this site. I have been on yasmin for four years now and shortly after i started to take it i was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and placed on citalopram. For the years that I have been on these drugs I have experienced insomnia, fatigue, low sex drive, night sweats, panic attacks and many other miserable symptoms. I am now starting to think that yasmin might have strongly contributed to these symptoms and I am looking to come off it very soon and perhaps look to a progesterone only pill. this sight has really helped and i hope that the symptoms i have been used to over the past few years might soon disappear after a change in pill...

Oh my God. I can't believe what I am reading! I have been on Yasmin for 5 years and never had any problems until recently. A few months ago I started taking Champix to stop smoking. I was aware of the side affects of this drug but thought that getting off the cigarettes was more important and that the side effects would only be temporary (while I was taking Champix). I have had nothing but bother since. I am off the Champix, but am in a terrible state. It only really kicked off 3 weeks ago. I feel so depressed, I cry all the time. I guessed it was my hormones so I went to my doctor yesterday. She said she thinks I have an anxiety disorder. I am having irrational thoughts, nearly paranoia, mainly based on my relationship, I have lost my confidence and my boyfriend has commented that I have become very insecure. I am so panicky and upset all the time. My doctor has put me on xantax but they have not made any difference yet. I am going to have blood tests done to check my hormone levels also. I cant function at the moment, and feel so bad about myself. I never thought that it could be yasmin. I am stopping taking it right now. I will do anything not to feel like this anymore. Has anyone got any suggestions of another contraceptive I can use (preferably not a pill), last resort but probaably safest option is condoms. But I will do anything to go back to being me!

WOW! I have been searching for a year now doctor after doctor to find out the cause of my anxiety! I'm 21 and i've never had anxiety problems in my life. Taking YASMIN was the cause of all this i was convinced because that was the only medicine i was taking and there was no other explanation for it. I went to yet another doctor and he told me over and over again it was not medically possible that birth control was causing my anxiety. I stopped taking the YASMIN and my hormone levels were out of wack and my anxiety worsened. My doctor perscribed me citalopram and clonzapam for anxiety. I want to get off my anti depressant because anxiety and depression were never a problem to begin with before i took YASMIN! I feel like a mess. The antidepressant does help by increasing seratonin levels in the brain, it is not a permanent option. Taking the citalopram also makes me bloated and backed up all the time its very frustrating due to the fact that i'm extremely healthy and never had any of these problems before. I don't know what to do does anyone have any ideas??

I have have been diagnosed with panic disorders 5 years ago. It has taken all my confidence with it. About the same time I was diagnosed with ovarian cyst and I am getting ready to take Yasmin. I am very cautious about pills after being prescribed lexapro and became suicidal. I am an outgoing individual and this scared me because I would never think these thoughts originally. By the end of 3 months I was on 7 types of pills. I found a book on line called panic away that changed my life! But recently the attacks have returned and destroyed my confidence once again. I am on no pills now and pullyself through each attack. I was excited to find Yasmin as the answer to my problems but now once again see doubt in a pill. I have no trust in medicine even though my husband works in the medical field. I am 27 years old now but have had panic attacks and ovarian cyst for 5 years. I am running out of options. I am considering Yasmin but after reading these comments have once again found doubt in medicine. I am looking for the miracle pill I guess! I am running out of time and need help. Does anyone know of some kind of pill that can regulate my periods and hormones without causing me so much harm? Please share. I am beyond desperation at this point. I may have no choice but to take the Yasmin.

Omg! I wish I did some research on this before going on it! I listened 2 м̤̣̲̣̈̇y dermatologist n continued using it! The initial 3months was hell. I felt like I was pregnant with constant nausea n then it got better. I been on it 4 a year now.. And recently I noticed... I'm constantly depressed. Can't function optimally, brain fog, constantly crying! Felt like I was going insane and then.. Thoughts of suicide started appearing... Hectic! Suspected it cud b the tabz as I don't take any other meds. Changed a lot м̤̣̲̣̈̇y personality. I'm an outgoing confident person n started becoming reclusive, aggressive, n constantly emo. Dangerous meds as I kept pushing м̤̣̲̣̈̇y car 2 its limits n hoping I wud crash n end it all! Now to get over the withdrawal symptoms. Yikes!

Omg! I wish I did some research on this before going on it! I listened 2 м̤̣̲̣̈̇y dermatologist n continued using it! The initial 3months was hell. I felt like I was pregnant with constant nausea n then it got better. I been on it 4 a year now.. And recently I noticed... I'm constantly depressed. Can't function optimally, brain fog, constantly crying! Felt like I was going insane and then.. Thoughts of suicide started appearing... Hectic! Suspected it cud b the tabz as I don't take any other meds. Changed a lot м̤̣̲̣̈̇y personality. I'm an outgoing confident person n started becoming reclusive, aggressive, n constantly emo. Dangerous meds as I kept pushing м̤̣̲̣̈̇y car 2 its limits n hoping I wud crash n end it all! Now to overcome the withdrawal symptoms. Yikes!

cat219 wrote:

I feel very confident that your depression is due to the the Champix. I took it for 2 months and was border-line suicidal. I cried everyday for no reason. It took a couple weeks for mood to go back to normal after I stopped.