Hi there,

I don't know anything about this matter so any kind of information is useful.

I've recently heard that luteinizing hormone can cause depression during menstruation. I have a higher level of luteinizing hormone than I should have, but I didn't really think of it as something dangerous and it doesn't seem to me so far that it has any effect on my body or my mental health.

I'm here because I want to ask you if it is true that if you have a higher level of luteinizing hormone, it can eventually cause you to become depressed, does this make any sense, is it possible?

Hi Guest,

Yes, higher levels of luteinizing hormone can be the cause of depression, however, it is not only during menstruation, regardless of whether or not you are on your period, if you have higher levels of luteinizing hormone, you are more prone to depression.

Keep in mind that higher levels of luteinizing hormone can't be the cause of depression all on its own. You have to have some other factors to contribute to this. So, if you are basically a happy person living a happy life, higher levels of luteinizing hormones cannot make you a depressed person out of the blue.

Gaia is right, if you are basically a person who is leading more or less a happy life, higher levels of luteinizing hormone shouldn't really throw you into depression all of a sudden.

However, it can happen that they will make you feel down sometimes, especially if you start the day with bad thoughts, higher levels of luteinizing hormone will just contribute to your bad thoughts and eventually put you in a really bad mood. But no worries, like I said, if you are basically a happy person who is not sad too often, these effects shouldn't really be long termed. Don't worry about it.

Hi there,

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I honestly thought that I was in danger of depression.

Not really, I am usually a very talkative, open-minded and a happy person in general, I'm pretty much satisfied with my life. I have my bad moments, like everyone else, I like to say that I have depression moments on an average of 2 days in a month. Other than that, I am doing really good. I didn't know anything about these luteinizing hormones and the first thing I saw when I searched about them was that they can be the cause of depression.

Hi friends.

There are a lot of reasons that can cause depression during the period. And we are aware of it, especially because we are dealing with it every month. It is kind of boring, right?

And I have to agree with people who already wrote you - yes, luteinizing hormone can be one of the reasons why you are depressed during your menstrual periods. 

Personally, even if I am sick and tired and depressed constantly, I didn't have experience with it so I can't tell you a lot about it. But I know that it can be one of the reasons. 

Hey there folks. Yes, but you should notice some symptoms about it as well. For example, some of those symptoms may include hot flashes, sleep disturbance, mood swings, etc. Do you have any of these? My friend had them all, that is why I know a lot about it. The main point is that luteinizing hormone can be really bad, but it has different impact to certain kind of people. For some can cause depression and for others just can cause them feel lazy. But also you should know that this hormone CAN'T be a cause of the depression on it's own. There are some other factors as well.

During the menstruation I believe that every girl is depressed. At least, I am. Now, I am not sure is this because of the luteinzing hormone, but one thing I am sure at - luteinzing hormone or lack of this hormone can cause a depression.

This hormone is very "sensitive" and I believe that every once in a while, ladies needs to measure this hormone in the body.

I am not sure can this hormone cause the depression by itself, but I am sure that, with some other factors, sure it can cause the depression.

Remember, you can't be just depressed for no reason...