Hi. My little, 10 years old brother was diagnosed with macular dystrophy. I would like to hear more about this problem and treatment options. Does MD lead to blindness?

Hi. Macular dystrophy is an autosomal recessive condition, characterized by grayish opacities in the corneal stroma and peripheral cornea. Vision decreases over time and people with macular dystrophy become photosensitive. Vision loss is also a possibility. Antibiotics and bandage contact lenses can be prescribed. For excessive corneal erosions you have excimer laser PTH, which removes superficial corneal opacities. If opacities are deep, corneal transplantation can be done.

I was 8 when they diagnosed me with MD. I am 37 and still not blind, tho my vision sucks.

Worse part about being a kid and having MD is the fact that doctors all want to keep you dilated and invite everybody in the world to look in your eyes while you are suffering under a bright light. If the doctor wants to always dilate your brother's eyes and shine a light in his face all day I would not let him. It is only for the doctors benefit, not your brothers. They will say it is for his benefit, but they can't do anything for MD.