Hello! I am about to have a Craniotomy performed and am quite scared, I must admit. I was found a brain tumor and am hoping to get rid of it with this surgery. I am interested in how long it takes to recover from a surgery like this? Thx!

Hi there! The results and the recovery period depend on the procedure, the general health of the patient, the extent of the procedure and the surgical techniques. The recovery time varies from 1 to 4 weeks. Full recovery may take up to 8 weeks. I wish you good luck!

I had brain surgery a year ago Nov. I had a Meningioma pressing against my brain stem. 14 hour surgery, 1 week ICU, 2 weeks in-patient rehab and 6 weeks outpatient rehab. In February I had gammaray to remove the rest (we hope). I was really dizzy and needed meds for about a month actually. But I get dizzy easy and I stumble and wobble when I walk. Right sided weakness and had to learn to write again being right handed, that was effected. My head was numb til about 3-4 months ago. My face was paralyzed (Bells Palsy type) on the right side fully until March. Now, I have somewhat of a smile but still paralyzed nerves in the upper right quadrant of my face. I don't mean to scare and everyone has different recovery. Everyone is different. I go for an MRI in 3 weeks and I hope for the best. Good luck to you and I wish you well and quick recovery.

I'm recovering from a craniatomy right now. The doctor said 4-6 weeks and I'm in week 3 feeling no pain, but I tire very easily. I just started driving this week and that makes me tired too. But I expect to go back to work part time in week 4.

I had a meningioma abort the size of a lemon removed in June of 2007.
I have recovered mentally pretty well, although I don't think I am as
mentally sharp as I was pre-surgery.
Physically I am having trouble with my left leg. I have some numbness
on my left side from my waist down. I wear a brace on my left foot.
I can walk without it, but not to the extent that I could go to work or
out in public without it on.
It has been seven months since the surgery. I've been told that the main
recovery period is about one year.
I work nights in a hospital. My job requires me to walk about 2 miles a night. I went back to work about 3 months after the surgery.
Any emprovements in my physical condition since I returned to work
have been painfully slow and frustrating. I still hope to fully recover to the
point where I can walk normally without a brace but I have been losing
my positive attitude latly.
Relizing that my attitude has not been very good for the past couple of weeks, I've decided to do something about it.
I bought an excercise bike and am going to workout a home on a regular
bases.
At the end of the year I want to know that I did everything I could to help
my recovery.Guest wrote:

I had brain surgery a year ago Nov. I had a Meningioma pressing against my brain stem. 14 hour surgery, 1 week ICU, 2 weeks in-patient rehab and 6 weeks outpatient rehab. In February I had gammaray to remove the rest (we hope). I was really dizzy and needed meds for about a month actually. But I get dizzy easy and I stumble and wobble when I walk. Right sided weakness and had to learn to write again being right handed, that was effected. My head was numb til about 3-4 months ago. My face was paralyzed (Bells Palsy type) on the right side fully until March. Now, I have somewhat of a smile but still paralyzed nerves in the upper right quadrant of my face. I don't mean to scare and everyone has different recovery. Everyone is different. I go for an MRI in 3 weeks and I hope for the best. Good luck to you and I wish you well and quick recovery.I had a meningioma abort the size of a lemon removed in June of 2007.
mentally sharp as I was pre-surgery.
out in public without it on.
recovery period is about one year.
my positive attitude latly.
bases.
my recovery

I am responding to your posting in October. I hope your condition has
continued to improve since than and would be interested in hearing about
it.

I found one also 2 yrs ago and wasn't going to do anything until it just started to grow. Mine is very small about 1.5 cm but it is very close to my sagital sinus and I'm now experiencing loss of memory, misspoken words, headaches all the time, dissiness. I was curious to know how big yours is. I have a friend who had a menengioma removed which was the size of a grapefruit (yes a grapefuit). I believe it took her about 7 months before she was cleared to drive because she had seizures. Even though mine is very small I am very scared. My husband and I have 4 children to take care of, I have to get back to work and drive!

mungo wrote:

I had a tumour the size of an orange removed 11 months ago, and I have found recovery VERY slow. I am pretty close to being fired because as a journalist I am often unable to tocus, my memory is terrible and with that has come depression.
I have been worried that I will never get back to normal, but I read this off the web on another blog:

Doctors will tell you, "What you are able to regain in a year is what you are left with." Don't believe them! The bulk and most dramatic healing will take place in the first year after surgery, but people continue to improve for many years thereafter. One man who was in a coma for 6 months, and had 3 separate brain surgeries was told "you will never do x, y, or z independently". Four years later not only does he do "x, y, and z" independently, but 13 years later was still noticing improvements. The message in this is never give up hope!

I hope they are right!

I had a stage 1 astrocytoma removed from my right intravencular hole in the right hemisphere at the end of March 2008. I'm very lucky and the surgery is deemed a success by my surgeon. I returned to work 9 weeks post surgery.

My vision was effected but has returned enough for me to drive. My immune system has been very VERY low, which I attribute to Keppra. I will be off of Keppra by Oct 2008.

While I'm cured from the brain tumor my body is experiencing unexplained skin disorders that are being treated with steriods. Not fun to be deprived of sleep after surgery while trying to perform at work.

My experience is that even 7 months afterward the body freaks out over the trauma. I wish I knew when I'll be well.

Good luck everyone!

My husband had surgery Jan. 30 of 2008. He was discharged from the hospital on Feb. 3. He had a tumor on the top right of his brain. The surgery lasted approx. 2 hours. The Dr. told me that the surgery was a complete success. He was recuperating fine for someone his age, 70. He refused to use his left side, odd since he's left handed. Over time, his stubbornness has caused him to loose the ability to use his left arm, it's now bent at the elbow, much like Bob Dole's. Last Sat. he took a fall and knocked the left side of his head on the night stand in the bedroom and now has lost his ability to walk. Myself and our children now have to pick him up and move him where he needs to go.
If anyone has any comment on this, I would appreciate help. I don't know if this is normal or if there is something I need to be concerned with. He seems to remember some things clearly and others he is confused on. I took him for a CT scan on Wed. and anxiously waiting for the results.
How long does the recuperation of this kind of surgery take? He seems to be doing real well and then he seems to be deteriorating before our eyes.

I just had a crainiotomy Dec. 10th. I was in ICU for one night and discharged two days later and at the shopping mall that weekend. I feel 99% recovered except that I was advised not to drive for 6 weeks post surgery. I was very lucky because the tumor was an astrocytoma and the surgery was possible to perform without compromising any brain function. I believe attitude has A LOT to do with the recovery and I admit being only 22 helps as well. This was my third operation for a brain tumor.

I had a meningioma removed 7 months ago. Luckily there were no adverse affects except extreme fatigue. I was a teacher and I am finding it almost impossible to do more than an hour at a time. I get very tired very easily and my surgeon has said it may take up to another 2 years before I am back to "normal"

My baby girl is 12yrs old and was diagnosed in Feb 08 with GBM Stage IV. At the time, I was told that the tumor was inoperable. However, in Nov 08, she had developed necrosis. We were recommended to consult with the Neurosurgeron and at that time he stated that not only could he removed the necrosis but the tumor also. I just gave all Praises to the Lord. For with God, nothing shall be impossible. She had surgery on 1-20-09, the surgery was a blessing. However, she started having seizures and then silent seizures. They put her under sedation and today is 2-12 and she has opened her eyes yet. However, I waiting on the Hand of God.

Recovery I was told 1 day of ICU without complications and 5-8 on regular stay. We are still in ICU and it's day 24. Don't be move by circumstances, allow the Word of God to move in your life.

I am 34 and had a 2.5 cm meningioma removed through craniotomy in early December. I was driving as soon as I stopped the pain meds about 2 weeks later. I do find that my memory is not what it used to be, mostly short-term stuff and finding the right words. My scar is about 6 inches right down the top of my head and my hair has been slow to re-grow. Other than that, I have no complaints and feel very blessed to have caught the tumor early and to be otherwise perfectly healthy. I'm working up to running with my dog again; I currently walk with her for 30 minutes daily. I don't feel fatigued, but find when I need sleep, I have to drop everything and go to sleep. In the weeks after surgery I slept an average of 11 hours per night. That is now reduced to 7 hours. I returned to work full time 6 weeks post op and am blessed to have no motor skill deficits. I have never experienced a seizure.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about delivering a baby after brain surgery? My neurosurgeon has cleared me and my husband to try for a baby, but I'm concerned about bearing down during delivery. I also have a cavernous malformation which is not serious enough to operate on at this time. Does past brain surgery warrant a c-section for delivery?

hi, I have a 18 yr old nephew who's having a tumor removed in two days,the tumor is located behind his eye, which concerns the surgeon of possible short term blindness or double vision. My family and I are very concerned( I'M JUST SCARED ) but if any one has any recovery info or anything please let us know. Prays are also welcomed.

Today is 3 weeks after my 15 hours surgery of meningioma. I don't have much pain, can go for walk, and am recovering well (I think). I do have weakness in my right face. I am hoping this well get better soon. The most annoying part is I can not close my right eye and have to use eye drops to keep wet. The recovery process is slow but docs are saying it will take upto 1 year.