I have noticed recently that when I consume alcohol, my ears get sore - as if I had an infection. Yet, when not drinking, they feel fine. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

good day. I had a problem with a chest pain after drinking alcohol for a long time, but later I also have noticed that my ears hurt because of this. it was a very sharp pain in my ears, to be precise. I told this to my doctor begging him to do some tests, in order to help me to realize what this is. he did all the possible tests and everything was ok. but, then he came to one conclusion - this place is exactly as in where the jaw bone meets the face. I think that in this case jaw bone hurts, not ear precisely. 

I too have pain in my ear canal after drinking alcoholic drinks..sometimes
The first incident was the most severe. I have not isolated any other
diet / or activity that causes the ear pain to happen one time and not another

I have the same thing but it happens when i drink coffe?????????????????????????????????/ some one please help me with an answer

I've been asking my doctor about this temporary pain I get behind both of my ears when I drink alcohol. I find that it happens mostly when I am drinking sweet and sour mixed drinks, but I'm not sure if that is the culprit. I've been trying to get answers about it, because when it happens it is quite painful behind my ears for a few hours. Then it goes away.

The other day I sipped on a carbonated beverage during the behind the ear pain episode, and I noticed the symptoms instantly got severe, I had to spit out the soda and put it down until the ear pain went away.

So far no doctor has been able to tell me what is going on.

One Health educator mentioned it could be an allergic reaction and my tissues behind my ears are swelling. I've been online trying to find more answers, hopefully we'll get some.

Have you learned anything new?

I have the same problem! I have excrutiating pain after the first couple of alcoholic beverages, but I noticed I have this too when I have a lot of vinegar. I am sure it is related to alcohol, but everytime I tell someone...they've never heard of this...have you heard anything back?

Whenever I mix alchol and something with a vinegar, I get the shooting pain in my ajw by my ear. My dr. i befuddled

I get that too. Nobody I've told knew what I was talking about. Usually I get the pain, but sometimes I don't. I've gotten it from drinking smirnoff coolers and fruity drinks and beer. The times I haven't gotten it was from when I got really drunk from whiskey or a long island iced tea--but sometimes it was mild. I haven't had alcohol in awhile, but I just took a sip of soda already, and I got that pain sensation under my ear, but only for a second. And it just happened again. That doesn't bother me, but I hate how it lasts for such a long time and I have to try to massage that area, but it doesn't help much.

I get the exact same thing sometimes when I drink alcohol. A friend of mine who is not even a doctor told me that it is from a lack of Vitamin C and he told me to drink either orange, pineapple or grapefruit juice and the pain will go away. Sure enough he was right. The pain goes away instantly when I eat or drink something that has a lot of Vitamin C in it. The relief is instant. The pain behind my ears go away immediately.

I will have to try the Vitamin C because for years now I have had really bad swelling and pain behind my ears whenever I drink alcohal. I don't drink very often because I feel like the pain is getting worse each time I drink and the swelling and pain is even happening the following days after I consume alcohal. I am really happy to know that other people have had this happen to them too and I am not a complete wierdo!!!

I have pain in the area around the bottoms of my ears near the jaw whenever I drink wine on an airplane. I think the painful area is called the mastoid process or mastiod region. I don't remember ever having alcohol besides wine on an airplane, so I don't know if it would happen with all types of alcohol. I spoke with an ENT specialist about this once, and he said it was due to the impurities in the wine. That didn't explain how wine would cause pain near the ears and jaw, but it did confirm that I'm not the only one who ever experienced this. Since then, I have spoken with one other person who has the same phenomenon when drinking wine on an airplane.

I'm no expert but I have the same pain and the little research I've been doing leads me to think its related to an overgrowth of Candida. I'm trying a Candida diet to see if goes away (its really hard).

I found this topic because I got desperate and did a google search asking "is it possible to have ear pain from drinking alcohol?" For a long time my pain was diagnosed as "swimmer's ear" but I finally realized it's tied directly to drinking wine. The pain fits the description of swimmer's ear, but after drinking quite a lot of wine for a few months (my beau is in the wine business and we were on a program of tasting a lot of wines from different countries -- a tough job but someone etc.) I went to visit my teetotal family, had not a drop to drink for two weeks, and no pain at all. On the train coming home, glass of wine and presto! Earache.

It's great to know I'm not imagining this. Also I will try the Vit. C or candida-controlling approach and see what happens.

So I have been researching this but along with ear pain, I also get neck pain. The only related thing I can find is a type of lymphoma. This is a bit of a concern for me as I have been having a problem with low vitamin d for a while. I was wondering if any one else had both ear and neck pain.

I haven't been having ear pain at all but I have been having neck pain. Almost going on 3 years now if you can believe it. It first started with drinking alcohol, now it stays even if I haven't been drinking for a month. My doctors haven't been able to explain the cause. I hope anyone has any info on this