I can't seem to find any info on my problem. I've seen as optpmetrist and they found nothing.
What I have is a small very quick flash of light which is circular when I blink hard in my right eye.
It's there all the time and have noticed it for about one year. It does seem to change in brightness when I'm tired.
I can't directly look at it, it is off left to my direct vision so I can only notice it.
What it does is, I blink...I see it for about one second and then it seems to crumble into itself.
I can only see it when there's light, nothing when it's dim or dark.
Any suggestions? Any cause for a scan of some sort?

cheers

hi orion, I have the same symptom as you, but i can see the quick flash on my right eye when in the bright / sunny condition, and then if i see left or right or blink, i can see the quick flash/light, have you figure out what is the cause of it?
your quick reply might be very helpful for me.
Thank you.

I had this same exact thing happen to me I realize its been years since your post-but I really want to know what this eye light is. Its kinda freaking me out. I do get migraines but I don't feel one now.

I only see it when I blink and look at a light or white object, its purpleish looking and disappears after a second, it also is in my right eye off to the bottom right of my vision.

I searched and couldn't find anything about this on the internet anywhere.

Thanks so much!!

I have this same thing too that just started yesterday - I blink and I see this white flash like an arc in my left eye. It's gone and doesn't always occur when I blink. My eye does feel stressed but I think it's just from me! LOL - I changed my contact out this morning and it isn't any different - I still see it.

I notice the same problem about Feb 9 2010. I'm in Saudi Arabia. Filipino. Its also on the lower right side of my right vision. Same symptoms as you guys. Will be visible if I look at a bright spot from a dark area. if all is bright I cant see it. If everything is Dark I cant see it. I have to be on either a dark area looking at a bright one or the other way around. I'll go see a specialist for this and post anything about it asap. Btw I remember having this several times before and would last only for a few hours and or days, then will disappear. Hope its still the same. God bless to you all and take care of your Heath.

I'd rather loose a leg than an EYE!! :-)
Good luck to you all.

OMG, does it mean that all of you have it in your lower right? I recently have it too and I am only 25. I think I started to have it since last week...that means approximately 2/9/2010 too. Is this really an eye problem since most of us have it at the same location and happen around the same time? This is creeping me out. But anyway, I don't see the flash everytime I blink. It just came whenever. In the past 2 days, I think I have it either 2-3 times already. I really wish someone would find out what it is.

Oh how weird, I just looked this up because I started having it three days ago, which was 2/19/10 (not the 9th for me). Its a straight line, and its in the lower right of my vision in my right eye. I don't seem to see it much during the day, only in the afternoons. I figured that was because I take a beta blocker in the morning which lowers my blood pressure for several hours. I also get migraines, but its been 3 days now and it doesn't seem to be associated (haven't had one). I only see this thing when I blink, its a flash, then its gone.

I have the same problem. It is a quick flash of light in the bottom portion of my right eye. It has been going on since 12/31/1999 for me because I remember that it started as I went to the last meeting of the year regarding Y2K. It did not go away for some time (never has completely)- after several days of this in early 2000 I did speak to an ER physician (I work in a hospital setting) and it alarmed him enough to send me to an opthamologist, who could find nothing wrong, even after several visits and even under some sort of ocular microscope. He advised me to see my medical doctor. I am never sick but did have a physician. I went to him and tried to describe it to him as similar in some ways to the optical migraines that I get except only when I blink for this problem, and not a continuous visual distrubance lasting for 20 minutes when I get those visual migraine auras. My physician at the time could never understand that this was not a headache even though I told him several times that it was not a headache (although I do suffer from stress headaches). At any rate, it did subside a bit over the years but tends to return when I am tired or stressed. Over the course of the past month or so, I have been having more optical migraine auras (three within about 1 month) and the light flashes have returned. I am also having some visual problems with my right eye- I cannot seem to get my vision corrected. I have seen 3 optometrists over the course of one year and have had two prescriptions for glasses. Yet my right eye never seems to be corrected. I visited the 3rd optometrist this week and he said there is a significant difference in the vision between my left and right eye. To be honest, I cannot tell much difference between the lenses he used as far as correction in my right eye. It was very easy to tell when correction was made in my left eye. My right eye seems blurry and everything appears fuzzy. The optometrist sent me home, to return for another appointment in one week. There was also some mention of my right eye being "off center" which has been mentioned to me years ago. However, that cannot be the entire problem. I am very worried because I depend on my vision for my job, reading, driving, etc. I am concerned about maybe even a detached retina but would the optometrist not have noticed this on the exam and said something since that is such an emergency situation? And would that have gone on for all this time and not have progressed to complete detachment? I don't know what to do except to return to the optometrist this week. I don't want to make too much of this is there is nothing seriously wrong, but my vision just does not seem right.

I have a similar problem but it happens in my left eye mostly and usually when i look up and right a quick flash of circular light in the bottom corner of my vision. I noticed it really only happens when i am really tired. I went to the ophthalmologist and had them look at it and they found nothing at all wrong. I have normal blood pressure but sometimes it will get about quit a bit higher for a day or two and drop back down. other then that I am 31 and healthy and fit.

Figured i would post just to let people know....my friend says he has similar flashes when he is tired is this a common thing that is not well documented? No head aches or anything associated with it.

I have the same thing i thing.  Sorta like an arc in the far right of my right eye when I blink.  I only see it when something bright is next to me like a white wall.

I have the exact same problem, only it's in the left side of my left eye. Every time I blink it's a round bright glimpse of light that moves down and eventually disappears. I've not been too worried about it as I had a black eye, but now my  black eye has cleared and the flash continues.. It's like just after getting your photo's taken, when the flash consists when you blink. Think I'll give it a few more weeks then head to see Mr. Doc.

It's annoying more than worrying!

Hey I've been looking up this problem for a while and similar cases refer to a retinal tear. But if you guys have been going on this long without any loss of vision it probably isn't that. Thought I would post it to give some ideas...................

I’ve been looking all over the internet, and I think only here do I find people whose symptoms mirror my own.

In my situation, it will appear whenever I blink. I believe I’ll blink when I move my eyes to focus on something, so it is happening almost continuously.

For me as well, the light appears to the left of what I’m looking at. Mine doesn’t crumble but either disappears or moves to the left.

I’ve had it for three days and it has been stressing me out, thinking it might be a retinal tear, etc. I can see pretty well, but it is annoying trying to ignore it. It also adds a little eyestrain. I have an appointment with my optometrist tomorrow afternoon. I call a telephone health service that recommended I go to the emergency room, but I thought that would be a waste of time.

Hearing the original poster having it for a year is not encouraging. Neither is other people having it and not getting a satisfactory diagnosis. At least it sounds like it will not lead to something more serious.  So it sounds like from the other posts that my optometrist will not likely find anything tomorrow.

I hope the problem clears up for all of you. Best of luck.

I'm the same person who posted on 6/21/11. Went to the optometrist yesterday. Haven't been since 2007. Prescription changed. Had this cool gizmo where they take a picture of the inside of your eyeball, then show it to you on the computer. There was a hardly discernible dark spot near the macula caused by fluid build up. The doctor said it could go away by itself, but she's referring me to a specialist. So, it's annoying, but I'm not likely to go blind which is what I feared most when it started happening.

I just registered here because this is the first place I've seen that even remotely addresses my very similar problem (thank GOD).  When I blink, I see a ring in my right eye that disappears right away.  When it first started a couple weeks ago, it was a perfect circle.  Now it's changing shape and is more oval shaped.  I've been to the ophthalmologist and had my eyes dilated twice and she can find nothing other than the usual floaters I've had for years.  I'm going to get a second opinion as I am insanely near-sighted and always on watch for retinal problems.  But so far, nothing has shown up.  Anybody got any updates/advice?  Thank you to all.