This post is an extension of the
Parathyroidectomy side effects thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Jenny wrote:

This post is an extension of the
Parathyroidectomy side effects thread.

Just have a update to all that have read my many post over the past few months. Good news!!! For the first time in 6 years I have a normal calcium level. Recent labs with my PCP show my calcium at 9.7 and PTH 15. It has been a long journey for me. Having surgery was the best decision I could have made. Free of bone pain, no reflux and my energy level is better. I still have some health issues not related to hyperparathyroidism. If you have the disease don't put off surgery and choose your surgeon wisely. Each case is different. Recovery is different for everyone. It has been 7 months for me. Good luck to everyone with this disease. Remember it is never normal to have high calcium.

Hi texgranny,

Glad to hear you're finally feeling better. I had my parathyroidectomy in Tampa one week ago today. I noticed the bone/muscle pain I had been having went away almost immediately, but I'm having some intermittent dizziness issues. I had some before the surgery, but not nearly as much or often. I've seen quite a few others post here about dizziness, so I'm thinking it's calcium-related, but not sure how. I've been taking the 4-Citracal/day as prescribed, dropping to 3x/day for this second week... I wonder if I'm getting too MUCH calcium still, or too little, or if I'm just dizzy from my body trying to readjust to "normal" calcium/PTH levels. I don't have bloodwork for another 4 weeks. Does anyone have any insight or ideas, specifically re: dizziness and calcium post-surgery?
Thanks,

Chris

Monday will be three weeks since my parathyroid surgery. It feels like there is a lump in my throat and I have this large (walnut/golf ball size) lump in the front of my neck. It's in the area where there is normally a hollow area, the same place they do a tracheotomy, and really shows up when I tilt my head up. I mentioned this to my doctor in an email and he said it will go away. I also told him I'm having trouble swallowing and he said that the surgery had nothing to do with swallowing because they didn't do anything to my throat.

I don't think this is normal. The lump is firm, not soft like it's just swelling or something like that. Also, I can't tilt my head back as far as I used to. There's this pulling feeling like the muscles are too tight and to put my head back further I have to open my mouth. I don't know what this lump could be. All kinds of things are going through my head like, the muscles are caught up in the stitches, there's too much scar tissue forming, there's adhesions on my muscles, etc. and it's making me nuts. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've tried to search online for what this could be but haven't found anything. Anxiously awaiting any replies and/or help.

Two adenomas were removed. I wanted the minimally invasive surgery done but because nothing showed up in the ultrasound, mri scan or sestamibi scan the doctor said he would have to do exploratory surgery. My incision is about 3 inches long across the lower front of my neck. My Calcium level was up to 11.8 and PTH was 136.

Hello creativetouch: Just give yourself some time. Three weeks is not long after a parathyroidectomy. I had MIRP procedure and my neck was tight for a few days, but never a sore throat. Had dinner the night of surgery. Maybe it is sore because of bigger incision and the exploratory part. That probably would cause swelling. Not sure. How are you feeling other than this problem? Are you taking calcium supplements? Did you have many symptoms before surgery? I would think your surgery was not a mistake with calcium and PTH being that high. I never had a high PTH, always in low end of normal. I would certainly contact surgeon if this persists. Keep us posted. Stay positive. Best regards, txg

Hi Tex....Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean that I thought having the surgery was a mistake because I know my levels warranted it. I'm thinking that maybe the surgeon made a mistake or something to cause that lump to be there. I think it is pushing on something and that is why I feel like I can't swallow that well. Other than those two things and that some of the internal stitches are poking through my incision, I'm feeling ok. I am having some tingling in my hands so I just take a Tums for the calcium and it seems to help it.

I have/had quite a few symptoms: Depression, anxiety, joint pain, heart palpatations, fatigue, borderline osteoporosis, almost daily headaches, and more. The joint pain went away pretty quickly and I don't have as many palpatations. Hoping that the others will go away soon. I emailed the doctor the other day and asked him to call me but he didn't. I sent him another one tonight. Hope he calls me tomorrow so I can see if there's someone I can have check out this lump and tell me what it might be. Will stay in touch.....CT

Creativetouch:

I had surgery almost 5 weeks ago down in Tampa. I had an extremely sore throat for about 2 weeks (also think I might have had a cold) and I had trouble swallowing. It felt like I had a large pill stuck in my throat. I emailed my Dr. and he said not to worry, it would go away, and sure enough it did. I still notice a little tightness in the muscles around my neck but day by day it's getting better. I would give it some more time and rest. I think all patients are different and everyone heals differently. I know that my tumor was intrathyroid so I think he did some extra cutting / stitching (I'm guessing) while in there which may have caused my extra pain. I was up and around walking right after surgery, but I didn't feel "super" as I read others did. But I would give it more time, as I said I'm almost 5 weeks and feel 99% better.

I am suffering a bit from brain fog; I talk and then forget my train of thought. It never was like that before surgery. Also, I am getting awful acid reflux. It's been 4 months since I had one parathyroid gland removed. Any suggestions? All my bloodwork is normal.

Terry123: Have you discussed these symptoms with your Dr? Acid reflux is something you must see about. As I had these symptoms before surgery and they have disappeared not sure what could be going on. My fog or lack of concentration returned and as a shock I found out I am hypothyroid. I have been on meds for that a couple of months and I am better. Are you taking your calcium supplements? How many a day and what time? Some that post on here have not tolerated calcium too well. Glad your blood work is normal. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Keep in touch...txg

I had parathyroid surgery a few weeks ago and basically feel fine. However, I have been steadily gaining weight since the day after. After the 4 pounds in just a week I significantly reduced my caloric intake. I lost a pound only to gain it back and now a week later gained yet another. Normally, I would have lost a few pounds eating like this. I emailed Dr. Norman about it and he replied the weight gain was unrelated to the surgery and I was cured. However, my weight has not fluctutated more than a couple pounds over the past year and this is the most I have ever weighed (except when pregnant). I suspect something is going on. It's just not normal to suddenly gain 5+ pounds in two weeks-especially when dieting! Too much of a coincidence I think. Has anyone else experienced this sudden weight gain?

Hello everyone,

My grandmother who is 82 yet was extremely physically fit and always on the go - had parathyroid surgery 2 months ago after finding out she had hyperparathyoid. Her PTH level before surgery was 33.7. They removed the overactive gland and said it was very large. Now since surgery, she is a totally DIFFERENT person. She is extremely depressed, anxiety, agitated, her hands shake, loss of taste and just feels miserable. She is restless and cannot sleep at night and just lies down all day. She continues to decline. The doctors do not know what is wrong. She is taking small supplements of calcium and Vit D, multi-vitamin. She is on a Citrate calcium of 300 mg. Her family doctor put her on an anti-dperessant and it has not helped at all. She is so discouraged and all she speaks of now is dying. This is very much not her - she is usually so upbeat and positive. This surgery has changed her - can anyone tell me what the optimal levels are on blood tests of calcium, Vit D, magnesium? Also, what quantity of Vit D, Calcium and any other supplement should one be taking post surgery?

I am really worried. She cannot be left alone - for one, she doesnt want to be and I am also scared she would suicidal if she was. This is very serious. Any advice/help would be appreciated - we can't seem to get anywhere with doctors.

MommyDeb: Welcome to the site. I have read several posts that some have had trouble with weight gain. I too have gained some weight. UGH! I recently got diagnosis of hypothyroid. I would check with PCP to make sure nothing else is going on. Have you had your follow up labs? How many calcium supplements are you taking now? Dr Norman is adamant about taking multivitamins. Some of us on here stopped and our energy level suffered. Good luck on your recovery. Keep us posted. Happy New Year...txg

Dear Texgranny: Thank you for your thoughtful welcome. In answer to your questions, Dr. Norman said to do follow up labs in 5 weeks, but out of frustration regarding the sudden weight gain, and with Dr. N saying they are not related, I called my endo and he ordered labs, so I should know something next week. Dr. N said take 3 citracal + D daily-which I am. I haven't started the multivitamins. He said Centrum Silver was a good one. I hope they don't upset my stomach! Out of curiousity, did you have any thyroid problems before your pt surgery? Do you think there is a connection? A Happy and Healthy New Year...Deb

MommyDeb wrote:

Hi MommyDeb: Glad to hear you are having new labs. I never had any problems with thyroid before surgery. I was shocked when a nodule was removed at the time of my surgery. I asked my pcp if my hypothyroid now had anything to do with the removal of a nodule and he said no. It makes me very curious, but I am feeling better on the meds. I took centrum silver for a while, but I did not tolerate them well. I am now taking women's one a day. I would encourage you to start your vitamins.
Good luck on your recovery. Keep in touch...txg

Guest: I Have read your post several times and I am so sorry your grandmother is having such a terrible time. It is wonderful that she has you as an advocate. My only advice is to seek an opinion from another DR. Her surgery could have been traumatic due to her age. Get copies of her latest lab work and it will give the normal range for each test done. Don't be shy in asking for these as they are her tests. I now always get copies. The anti-depressants take time. sometimes weeks. She needs to be monitored to make sure the dosage is correct. Don't let her stop taking them on her own. Please consult her Dr. I hope her recovery will soon improve. Stay in touch....txg