Hi I have been experiencing pain in the palm of my hands when I need to urinate or have a bowel movement. Feels almost like electricity. I have spoken to a doctor but she just looks at me like I am stupid and says "uh huh" and moves on like I said nothing at all. Can anyone relate?

What you have is called referred pain. You are not stupid at all. Your doctor just may not have been knowledgeable enough to recognize that. Google "palm reflexology" for a palm map and see if the "colon" and "bladder" regions match where you had the pain. This is the principle that acupuncturist base on to treat illnesses. Palm pain like this usually means there may be something wrong. So watch out for other symptoms.

Hi Brandy, that is very strange that the doctor just brushed off what you said. I think that if you are concerned about it (and I've never been in that situation, sorry) that you should talk to another doctor about it. If a doctor ever treats you badly, you should always feel free to get a second opinion. What do you think?

Hi Brandi!

I'm sorry on both counts, that you are experiencing mysterious pain, AND that your physician is ignoring your symptoms. Both can be extremely stressful things to endure.

I found this blog after doing a search to try to find an answer for my mother-in-law. Similar to your symptoms, she has had pain hin her palms when she urinates, but only since she underwent heart bypass surgery about 4 years ago. Her doctors have reacted in the same way as your doctor.

I believe that there must be something in common here, since you both have such similar symptoms. My mother-in-law is 81 years old, and her symptoms began right after her bypass surgery.

I hope this information can help you in some way with your own problem. Good luck!

Hi, Brandy. I don't want to complicate things but I am having the exact same problem but I haven't went to a physician yet. But unlike the other people responding, I am male and have not had any heart surgery and have any heart problems (that I am aware of). The pain is usually in my left hand and mostly occurs after I held it for a while. I hope this reply helps.

I have started having the pain (more of an ache) in my hands and sometimes arms as well. I havn't talked to my doc about it he is one of those that if you complain about stuff he thinks you are depressed. I am a 61 year old female with Fribromyalgia but this is not related to it I don't think. I hope someone has an answer to why this is happening for you and all of us.

And I thought I was the only one with this problem. I am 68 years old and have had this problem for over 50 years. Not one doctor including urologists have ever heard of it or could give me any kind of an answer. Like me they look at me as if I am crazy. Say they never heard of anything like it and just go on talking about something else.

The problem usually happens when I really have to urinate and wait too long to go. It happens at the end of urination. It feels like the urethea spasms. When that happens I have pain down both arms to the fingers. My hands and fingers feel like they have been asleep and tingle. It only lasts about 15 seconds. The only part that really hurts is when the urethra spasms. It has become more of a problem the past few years since I had a hystorectomy in 1996 and have had reoccuring uninary tract infections the last 7 years. The doctor says they are due to the radiation therapy I had. I don't think the spasms and hand pain are due to that because I had it way before my surgery. Until 7 years ago I had never had any urinary tract problems at all. It started before I started having sex. So what is it?

If anyone has an explanation I would sure like to know what it is. Maybe someone out there has an answer or some idea what causes it. I'm glad to know that others are in the same boat.

I am a 55 year old male with the same problem. No heart surgery, although I do have a somewhat abnormally low pulse rate (sinus bradicardia), with a resting pulse around 48-52. I'm in pretty good shape, and very active physically, bicycling ~15 miles/day and running or jogging between 35 and 90 minutes per day.

Like other posters, this pain is mild, feels a lot like my hands were asleep and are getting the blood flow restored. It generally happens when I've held off urinating longer than I'd like. It is primarily in the palms of both hands, a bit stronger in the left hand, and on some occasions includes the fingers. I feel it mostly when I first start my stream rather than when it ends. I don't know how long this has been happening; I first thought about it consciously a couple years ago, although I think it had probably started before then, possibly years ago.

I have this problem and it is reassuring to find that others do too. I'm a 62 year old woman and have had pain in my hands when I urinate on and off for about 15 years and, like others, not met a doctor who could recognised the symptom.

I was doing a search and found this post. I just wanted to say that I have some of the same things happen.("when I really have to urinate and wait too long to go.") I'm just wondering if anyone has asked their doctor about the build up of uric acid in the body. Hope it helps.

Theresa

My mother has the same problem, the doctor did not know why, and did not seem too concerned. She has sharp pains in her hands when she urinates. I hope somebody posts a possible explanation, or at least point us in the right direction.

I am actually excited to read this post! I have had this problem for years. When I hold my urine too long my right hand hurts as i urinate then it quits hurting! I have mentioned this to other people and yes they look at me a little strange. If anyone finds out anything about this please post. I am 47 years old and in good health other than the occational migraine.

:-D

No you are not alone! I am perfectly healthy all my life, but I have had this exact same symptom for over 50 years...hand pain only when releasing after holding too long. Mine is in both hands and when its really bad my forearms and ankles too. Oddly, I was always under the impression that this was a common symptom for the circumstances, especially for males in a standing position. And I thought it was a pain transference from the bladder or kidneys when the overfull bladder suddenly releases. Sometimes I don't have the very painful reminder for years at a time, but this winter for example, with lots of hot coffee and tea drinking, one gets loaded quickly, and it has hit me several times lately. So just tonight for the first time in my life I decided to ask, and tried surfing the answer, and found NONE. I'll ask my doctor on next visit. Very odd isn't it ?o.O

"I am actually excited to read this post! I have had this problem for years. When I hold my urine too long my right hand hurts as i urinate then it quits hurting! I have mentioned this to other people and yes they look at me a little strange." o.O

I am a 61 year old male and I have had a similar experience for as long as I can remember. A throbbing pain in my fingertips (both hands) momentarily at the point of release. Again, only after leaving it too long. I have never worried about it and I, too, thought everyone was the same, so I never mentioned it to anyone. My wife, however, does not experience this, I have recently discovered. I like the theory that it is referred pain and I will continue to regard it as 'normal'.

I have had excruciating pain in both hands when I urinate during
what I think is a bladder infection. Had it for years...about 10 or
more. It only lasts while I urinate and then it goes away but my
hands draw up like a claw. They are striff and painful for the time
it takes me to urinate. I have asked my GP and my urologist and
they never heard of that condition. Today my daughter called me
to tell me she is experiencing the same pain when she urinates,
she thought she had a bladder infection but used a test strip to
make sure. No infection but pain in the hands and feet for her.
None of my DRs. have ever validated my situation, they just say
they have never heard of this condition.