I posted this originally in the incorrect forum. (I'm a newbie, but I have no idea how I put this in "Skin Rashes"!)

For several years I've had a very sore area deep in my left front neck. There is no swelling--at least not visible to a doctor or to myself. An ear, nose, and throat doctor inserted a camera into my throat and saw no lumps. I told him it doesn't feel like it is IN my throat at all. It feels deep inside the neck. Because doctors don't see or feel any swelling, however, they tell me not to worry.

I wouldn't worry if it didn't drive me to distraction. Whenever it is sore, it feels uncomfortable whenever I turn my head or whenever I swallow. In fact, when I swallow the weirdest kind of a "popping" or "clicking" occurs, as if a tendon or ligament is sliding over something. This makes me think it might be a lymph node. But I thought lymph nodes were close to the skin, not deep inside the neck.

It's as if I would have to poke my finger very deeply into the left front of my neck in order to locate it. It doesn't feel like a large area that gets sore, but it feels like a very specific small area. I've tried to locate it with my finger, but I can never pinpoint it.

The soreness may go away a while, but it always comes back.

Not only does it get extremely sore, but when the soreness goes away, there is the oddest aching feeling that occurs there. Yesterday, it ached and ached all day long. Just in that one small localized area.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar? Could it be thyroid related? Can lymph nodes get infected (I had a molar absess on the left and the lymph nodes beneath my jaw got swollen and sore years ago) and then become enlarged?I don't know what type of test might help determine what it is. MRI? CAT scan? Is an ear, nose, and throat doctor the correct doctor to see?

Please offer me any advice. I am so weary of the pain. Whenever it gets sore, it is impossible to ignore.

Thank you in advance.

I have the same thing!! I thought it was nodes, too, but my doctor thinks it's muscular. I've had it for over 5 weeks and am going back to see her Friday. (She told me to come back if it didn't go away.)

I only feel it when I put my head in a certain position. But it is always there. Sometimes it's more intense than others.

Can you email me? I only joined this website so I could respond to you, but I'd rather go through email if that's OK. Let's compare notes!

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Did either of you ever get this figured out? I know this was posted a long time ago, but I am currently suffering from the same thing. It's not thyroid, and it not the nodes. My doctor gave me a shot that helped, but the pain just came back. I'm miserable!

I'm experiencing a very similar soreness in the front of my neck/throat. It is definitely not a sore throat. My initial impression was that it was muscular. It is the left side, just under the back of my jaw--the pocket in between the tendon and the Adam's apple.

The pain seems to worsen as the day goes on. I'm concerned about the thyroid as well because I have a family history of thyroid problems. I also have about every thyroid symptom possible. However, I have never had any of the T tests done.

Please keep this post alive. I'm very interested to know the outcome of your search.

I used to have a soreness very similar to the one described by each of you and I had what is called a Thyroglossal Duct Cyst. Basically it is a portion of the thyroid that does not drop completely as it is supposed to when you are an embryo and it develops into a benign sac that gets filled with fluid/infection. According to my doctor it is very common, but most people never find out what it is because it is so hard to diagnose. I had 2 Cat Scans and an MRI. Mine had gotten to the point where it was large enough that you could see it when looking at me from the side...kind of like I had two adams apples. I did have to have it surgically removed because it would not go down. The incision was made in the crease of my neck and you cant even tell now 1 year later! There is always the possibility that it could come back, but the odds are small.

Same problem here. Lump feeling, but not actually in the throat area, more like deep inside the throat. If I drink salt, I can't feel any burning, so that is why I know it is not in the throat area that can be seen.

The newest symptom is clicking when I swallow. But only when I swallow my saliva (Not drinking water or anything). This clicking happens almost dead center of the throat.

I also have a sensation of like an internal blister or something on my right side. When I press in on the right side, it aches. Some days it really annoys me on the right. Feels like something wants to come out, but nothing happens.

The doc put a camera down my throat. Nothing showed.
Did a barium test. Nothing.
Gonna ask for an ultrasound.

Any thoughts?

I also have had these same symptoms for about 3 to 4 years now. I havebeen to ever kinf of spcalist. I have been diagnoised with severe TMJ; spondilyosis in my neck, cysts within my thyroid that they feel don't need to be treated; every symptom mentioned above; I have had and continue to have off and on. Stress makes it's worse or simply holding my head in a certain direction for too long. Sleeping wrong triggers it. The pain radiated from above my right ear all the way down through my neck into my clavical. Had a MRI, nothing but the systs in my thyroid shewed up. Under my chin seems to tighten at times. Monir diddiculty swallowing but not that bad. If i lean over to pick something up from the floor, I feel pressure around my esophagus area; the skin aound my lower throat and upper chest weems to be tender. I have had terrible thought sabout what it could be but all my blood tests are perfect and nothing has make itself prevelant on xrays, CT and MRI's so I just learn to live with all this discomfort and weirdness. I am blessed to wake up each morning; and I havn't been wat you considier sick or ill. There are days that I just feel unnecessary but I write it off to being older and not as active. I eat quite well and I know I need to excercise more. Getting older is not fun in 2008. Everything we eat or use causes something negative; what is going on....does any else have these symptoms?

blossom

I too have this pain- very localized on one side of my neck. I have had CT, an ultrasound, gone to the ENT and also the gastro who did an endoscopy. The gastro guy said I have gastritus but he doesn't think it's related to my throat pain - since it's only on the one side. He said maybe I have TMJ -- I had a tooth pulled right before this started and an apico on the tooth next to it - all on the left side. But, the dentist tells me that's not the cause either. No one can figure out what's going on - the pain is pretty bad right now- it varies day to day but is always present. If I press on it, it's worse and not sure if it's related but I've gotten really dizzy and nearly passed out a few times since this started (7 months now). I'm not sure what to do to make it go away. No one seems to have answers and docs seem to point to other docs - it's a cycle... Anyone have any ideas? The pain radiates down my neck and at times in my jaw and up to my ear on really bad days. On better days, it's just that one focal point on my neck-- near the carotid artery or thyroid (docs have said different places). I have also had a full blood workup with nothing...

I have had the same symptoms for 8 months now. I have an aching pain deep inside my throat on the right side only where your lymph node is located below your jaw, where you can feel your pulse. This pain occurs sporatically and does not seem to be brought on by chewing, swallowing, or any neck movement. It is not your typical sore throat. I have had CT Scans, MRI, and a scope from the ENT and every thing appears normal. I am having a gastro scope in two weeks and am curious to see if this shows anything. I keep telling the dr's the pain is real and is coming from somewhere but they cannot seem to find the source of it. This very frustrating and some days are better than others. Im not giving up. Im going to keep trying different doc's till they figure it out. The only thing that gives me relief some days is Motrin but I shouldnt have to be on it for the rest of my life!

have a similiar thng going on left side of jaw-neck -throat more even chin a tiny bit numb-feels strange lke something present there-more annoying than painful-like a muscle ache--I am concerned because this week I have had pain inl ower left side and lower back-even arm bone felt sore-feel like something is going on-anyone ever figure out the issue--I also have been sneezing a lot -

Wow, I am somewhat scared after reading all the same signs on here, that I have been experiencing as well. I have a tender...to sore left side of my neck, and it feels like I have something inside, yet, nothing visible to the doctors either. I looked up the area on a human anatomy chart, and it is in the same location as the "Left Common Carotid Artery". I must add this for everyone out there...
This all started with me last March 2008, 3-4 days after I returned from a trip in Domincan. I was really ill with pain in my face where I had to sleep with my knuckled pressuring into my left cheeck bone. I thought I had a real bad ear infection from flying, and the change in weather. My doctor sent me to my dentist, and I have now undergone my first Root Canal. Everything seemed better for a month, or so, and now, I have been dizzy, tired, I have a bruised, pressured feeling in my left neck that feels like it is damaging my ear drum, and sometimes sends pressure up my face to my eye area. ?????????????It's insane. I am out of my skin, as I just watched my mother pass away a year ago in May at the age of 61 with Cancer... her cancer started in the lymphnoids. I am going to go back to the doctors and insist on an e-xray, or some kind of tests...yet, I am scared to really know, you know! Thanks Jorjeegirl...

guys, i feel so relieved to have found a place onlne with people who are suffering from the excact same symptoms as myself. this all started happening to me weeks ago, since then dr though tonsilitis ( but i knew otherwise it wasnt as i had severe tonsilitis b4) anti biotics did nothing, my jaw sometimes hurts, most of the time left side of my neck, the whole deep in the muscle NOT THE THROAT sensation of dull discomfort. man im telling ya its getting really anoying, and other days its fine. it seems to be fine in my sleep, great in morning, might throb in afternoon and by night time im in anxiety prodding and poking at it trying to find the excact spot of pain ( but never do find it).......

i smoke a ciggarette here and there and it doesnt seem to irritate it, i swallow fine, and eat well, always exersice, if i didnt know any better id swear its some kinda freeky muscle pull in the neck or bruising???

I have symptoms similiar to Blossom's (June 08 blog). Have had it for 1.5 years. Tightness in neck, shoulders, jaw, throat. Seem to have limitation moving right and left. Right used to be more difficult--now could be left. Used to have severe pain (that's what started it)--since I"ve drastically cut out my "activeness," the pain is better although flares up with activity. Difficult swallowing is more bothersome. I find if bend over or put my neck in a specific position, it creates the difficulty to swallow. Sleeping is actually the best--I think because it is relaxed and has a chance to recoop. As I wake up and day goes in, it becomes tighter and more bothersome. I agree--I am thankful to wake up every morning and can participate in most day-to-day activities, work, etc. but go through moods of "what is this?" And want it resolved. I am an active adult and miss the activities I used to do--or if I try to do something, it clearly sets me back months. (and this includes pulling weeds in the yard). Any ideas? More recently, I can't yell, sing (well, never could sing, but to attempt it--very straining). Wears out the throat and me to push it to that pitch. Yelling--I can't do. Any ideas?

I've been experiencing the similar symptoms with 'Motornarrow' for about 2 weeks now.
I googled and found the following website was quite helpful: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/temporomandibular-joint-000162.htm

I have had nearly all of the very same symptoms as those posted here.
Anyone get any answers?