I have heard about memory loss from Topomax. Did anyone experience something like that? I have been taking Topomax, but only small dosages, and I combine it with Tegertol. This mixture is really helping with my heavy migraines. Still, I cannot take bigger dosages of Tegertol either. I am afraid of extra weight gain, I am already over weighted. Anyway, what are your experience with Topomax?

I suppose that you are one of the few who really felt positive effects from Topomax. As for me I cannot say I was that lucky. While I was using it I really had problems with memory. Not short term, but some details from the past started skipping me. Like name of some people, streets etc. Nothing deadly serious, but quite enough for me to sopt using that drug. I hope that you will not have those problems.

I been taking topamax for 2 years and have adult ADD. I kept forgeting conversations I had with people days before. Recently, I kept repeating to someone something like I have never said it before. I kept blaming my ADD as the cause and increased my medication. Just recently, I did my own research and found out that topamax causes memory loss besides other side effects that I have like poor coordination, vision loss, and having trouble putting words together during a conversation.
As much as topamax helped with controlling the pain of my small fiber neuropathy, I rather keep my brain cells.

I take Topamax for well controlled temporal lobe epilepsy:so controlled in fact, that I get a bit careless about my medication.(Yes I know better, I'm a nurse.) My issue is on the day that I restart the pills, I notice a distinct lag in my ability to articulate quickly. I don't have any difficulty speaking clearly, but there is a noticeable gap of time before the correct word springs to mind. The Topamax seems to have that definite effect on me, Ive taken note of it time after time. I don't have trouble just with medical terminology, but simple adjectives and adverbs, in ordinary conversation. I work for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center, I wonder how long Ive got before they drug test me?
;-)
I have no other complaints about the medication, but I am used to expressing myself confidently; I don't quite know if that's reason enough to look at other options, I'd like to hear other opinions. Thanks, Jacki

I suffer from complicated migraines also - they mimic strokes....took immitrax for years with success however was told about the long effects on the brain and vein constriction was no good and could lead to strokes down the road. I was on 100 mg of Topomax, I lost weight with it, however I quit the medication because I am often at  a loss for words during a conversation, I recently returned to school and have lots of difficulty with my memory, I quit it close to 2 weeks ago and am afraid that my memory won't return....I have begun working my brain with various brain games......hopefully the side effects won't be long term and for ever - had I known I am not sure I would have taken it......oh I should mention that even with the 100mg I still got my migraines - its likely my doctor would have increased the dosage  but,,,if I am brain dead at 100mg -I don't even want to know how I would be with a higher dose - Good luck to those of you starting it - trust your doctors but be informed and ask questions

Diane,
I take a very high dose for chronic pain and neuropathy. have pretty severe what I like to call "stupimax" side effect. i am often stumbling for the word i seek. went back for a second degree in nursing, graduated at the top of my class, 4.0 and got top award! offered a job at the hospital in which we did our training. I do not think that this kills your brain cells, just messes with the recall of your short term memory a bit. you will do fine going back to school! I have often weighed the possibility of going off this medication but I have tried everything else out there and this is the only one that has work even slightly for me and otherwise I would be home lying on a couch! so somedays i may have to come up with a creative way to say things until the word I want comes to me but it usually does eventually.
bambie

I take "toprimate/topomax", and have been on a 400 mg. dosage for years now to conteract the weight gain from "depokote er" On that I take daily 2500 mg. Because of the latter drug, I had gained roughly 100 lbs. Topomax was prescribed for it's ability to supress one's appetite. If perhaps you have questions, kindly email me.