Hi, I heard that some people used topamax for neuropathy. I suffer from this condition, and I would like to know if it rally helps. What other drugs can I also use?

Hi, my friend used topamax for neuropathy, and it wasn’t very helpful. Her symptoms were reduced a little, but not enough. Her pain and "electric shock" sensations were still torturing her, so she had to find another medicine. A doctor prescribed her some strong opoid analgesics, and she finally found a little peace. Topamax is usually used for controling both mild and severe seizures. It also has some side effects, like abnormal coordination, abnormal vision, abdominal pain, agitation, appetite loss, anxiety and back pain. If you decide to use topamax anyway, ask your doctor about possible drug interactions, because s/he knows which medicines you are using. You can start with 50 mg a day, at least for the first week.

I used Lyrica for almost a year for my neuropathy pain and it worked really good. I started at 75 mg. and had to stop when I was a 300 mg. per day due to swelling in my legs. I understand at high doses it can make you swell. Nothing else worked and the Lyrica did, so I am back to square one. My doctor is having me try the Topamax now, but it isn't working so far. So, we are just now trying the Topamax at night and one 75 mg. Lyrica during the day, wish me luck... I'll check back in a month or so and let you know. ;-)

I have just started taking the Lyrica for neuropathy due to Porphyria, a rare blood disease. I did a little trial dose of it (about 10 days worth) and I saw a result after about 2 days of being on the medication. The tingling in my feet, legs and hands completely went away. After two weeks of waiting for approval from the insurance company, I am now starting back on it. The doctor didn't have me step up on the dosage like he did before and I am taking 100mg three times a day now. I haven't noticed any swelling so far. (None while I was doing the trial dose.) I am, however, looking for a cheaper alternative. Even with my insurance, the Lyrica is going to cost me $100 a month. We live on a budget, and if I have to start spending $100 a month for medicine, something else is going to have to give. Does anyone know of a cheaper medication? How does the Topamax work for the tingly neuropathy? Is it cheaper than Lyrica? Does it have a generic form?

For medication financial help, consider contacting the manufacturer of the drug. I did with one of my prescriptions and after some paperwork I am now receiving my monthly Rx absolutely free. Good luck.

i'm 16 i suffer for RSD in my left wrist i had a super haig pain tollerence they started me on neronton and it DID not help the pain at all they only thing it did was made me sick and mess with my viison causing me to run in to walls then they switched me to lyrica witch i was started in 75mg and max out on 600mg a day it took my normal 10 down to a nine which seemed ok but over the short period i tok it made me gain 50 which is rough on anyone especially a teenage girl! so i stoped that i was also on elvil which wasn't doing anything for me either...so the other day they tried me on topamax it took my pain from my 10 down to 8which was major bacuse ive had thi for almost a year now it also kills my hunger so i take 50mg of topamax a day as of now

Lyrica, for me, was the worst medication ever. It basically made me stoned and fat. Everyone is different, so don't spend the money or stress on something when other options are available.

I am using it currently I started at the 50 mg dose not 25 mg dose 2 times a day one at night ine in morning because neuropathy pain was miserable. Yes it works. I have MS like symptoms already so what does it mattercall this so called side effects if I can have peace. I will probably go up to three times a day. And there is room for more dozing. This med is an older. I believebthat we should not et the doctors push new meds. The truth, th ones have bad sideceffects later found out. Some having tobdo with withdrawing. Like gabepatin uh . Anyway, hope the info will be useful even one year later. I know that info as been to me.