Yesterday when I was waiting at the gynecologist’s office to have my regular check up, I heard two women talking about something called menometrorrhaged. They kept using this word, not once applying what it may mean. I understood it has something to do with periods but I didn’t get what. Is there anybody who knows what menometrorrhaged is. I would be more that thankful if you could explain it to me too. The word is really strange and it would be good to know it.

Hi, yes, the word is strange but you may have as well experienced the condition. I certainly have. Menometrorrhagia is excessive uterine bleeding. It can happen at the usual time of menstrual periods and at other irregular intervals. Menometrorrhagia can indicate a number of different disorders like hormone imbalance, endometriosis, benign fibroid tumors in the uterus, and, rarely, cancer. Treatments depend on the cause. If there isn’t a dangerous cause, such as cancer, hormone supplementation or the therapeutic use of birth control pills to better control the menstrual cycle may be recommended.