Good day everyone. So I have one really important thing to ask you. Almost two years ago my sister was diagnosed with mechanical tricuspid valve. She was drinking some pills; her treatment is, of course, prescribed by her doctor.

During that treatment she met her current boyfriend and they started to live together. She called me today and she told me that she is pregnant.

Well, maybe she is happy but now I am extremely worried for her health. What can happen in this case? Is this dangerous for her because she has this disease and now she is waiting for a baby?

Hi Big Z,

I honestly don't think that this is a good idea at all. Things can easily get very nasty and hers and the baby's condition can suddenly worsen. Women with mechanical valves have higher rates of fetal loss and some maternal complications.

Since she is already pregnant, she needs to consult with her doctor as soon as possible. It would probably be wise to spend the entire pregnancy in a hospital, where her condition could be monitored on a daily basis. 

It's not very easy for me to tell you this, but I have heard of cases like this that ended up by the deaths of both a mother and her baby.

Hello guys,

I know that there are medications that help women who are pregnant and are diagnosed with mechanical tricuspid valve at the same time. The two medications given in this situation are warfarin and heparin, although heparin has been considered safer for the fetus than warfarin, but may not provide adequate anticoagulation for the mother.

Doctors conducted a test which ended up with these results: Fetal loss occurred in 44 of the 100 pregnancies, due to the following causes: spontaneous abortion (28), intrauterine fetal death (4), stillbirth (3), neonatal death (1), premature birth (2), Rh incompatibility (2), and maternal death (4).

Hi everyone,

I have to tell you Big Z, that pregnancy is going to be extremely risky for her and her baby's life.

As Alan said, about 44% of all pregnancies that happened when the woman was having mechanical tricuspid valve ended up badly, with the death of the mother, the baby, or both of them.

The medications that Alan mentioned are indeed used in these cases but they aren't helping very much, as the percent is staying as high as it is. The best thing for your sister to do would be to stay in a hospital for the rest of her pregnancy, as Stradivarius advised. 

Hi guys,

You are right about worrying for her health. It isn't a smart idea to get pregnant when you are diagnosed with mechanical tricuspid valve. I honestly don't understand how didn't she consult someone about this, she could have at least talked to her doctor about it.

It is definitely dangerous for her, and for the baby she is about to have as well. Her condition needs to be monitored as much as she allows it. It would be best if there was someone to look after her every day. All the odds are against her, she should have really acted smarter.

Hey guys.

This is really hard topic to discuss about and I am not the right person to tell you anything about this. For how long is she pregnant?

I am not for an abortion at all, I am against this but this condition is not safe – for her and for her baby as well at all. It can become very risky for both of them especially for the baby. I don’t know anyone who had this situation but I am pretty sure that medications can't help at all.

Like others told you, those pregnancies can end up with death of mother or a baby…

I don’t know what to tell you.

Hey everyone.

No one will tell you what is the best thing and option for your sister, but I also do know that this can be very dangerous.

She is in under extreme risk, just like her baby.

I don’t know have she talked about this with her doctor, but I do know that almost 50 percent of pregnant ladies are in the danger of losing their baby and I don’t even want to mention the death.

If she knew that she is having this problem, she needed to consult with some doctor about this. Thinking about the child in this situation is not responsible at all.

Good day everyone.

I agree with everyone – it is very dangerous and it can be fatal for both. I know this unfortunately because it happened to my old colleague from the work, Judith.

She didn’t know that she has mechanical tricuspid valve and she always wanted to have a baby. She told us one day (that was three years ago) that she is pregnant. After some tests and analyses they told her that she is diagnosed with it.

She lost her baby when she was 5 months pregnant and since that day she is not feeling fine. No one knows how she is still alive.