Hello everyone.

My wife and I are trying to have a baby. We are married for three years now and so far we couldn’t have kids. We did a lot of tests and we are healthy. That is a good thing, right?

Now we are trying again but I am worried because my wife had mechanical tricuspid valve replacement a few months ago.

Today I met old friend of mine and he told me that pregnancy under those circumstances is very risky.

I can’t tell this to my wife until I am sure.

Can you tell me your opinion?

Tnx! 

Hello. After mechanical tricuspid valve replacement it is very risky to stay pregnant. There is risk for both – mother and child because of the aggravation of maternal hearth function and possible adverse effects on that anticoagulation therapy. Remember that women with mechanical valves have much higher rates of fetal lose and some maternal complications. I am not very smart in giving advice when we are talking about this subject, but I know that this can be fatal. Maybe it can be controlled but still risk is always present. I really wish you all the best and good luck in future life.

Hello everyone.

I do know that pregnant lady with mechanical tricuspid valves are at increased risk for thrombosis. Lady in this case can expect some complications in the future life. During this procedure there is a possibility of fetal risk because ladies are not able to take care of their pregnancy.

I believe that in this case woman needs to be in the hospital because doctors need to take care of her all the time.

When it comes to cardiovascular diseases there is always a risk. Nothing never should be done without consulting your doctor. It can be very serious. Good luck.

Hello there.

Oh, I haven’t know that this is so risky :( We really want to have babies, not one, more of them and we are scared that we won’t be able to have our kids :( I just can’t tell this to my wife, she is going to be broken :(. I mean, are there some ways that she can carry this pregnancy well? Of course, it doesn’t matter how much I need to pay that some good doctors take a good care of her. Maybe I am selfish because I want her to get pregnant under those circumstances but I really want you to understand me. Are there any cases similar to our case?  

Hey.

You can always look up for second opinion but I believe that every cardiologist will tell you the same thing :/ Women with mechanical valves have higher rates of fetal loss and some maternal complications. That is the fact.

It affects fetal outcome. I found one study where I was able to read that women who have this problem can use some medications such as Heparin or Warfarin, but I am not so sure.

Look if you are planning to have a baby the best thing that you can do is to consult your doctor about this. He knows what is the best for your wife. 

I’m currently 30 with a mechanical tricuspid valve I got replaced in 2003. I have had three successful pregnancies. I was able to do lovinox shots the first trimester and Coumadin the rest of my pregnancies. At delivery they put me on heparin drip. My heart is still doing good and my kids are all very healthy!