Hi, I am worried for my cousin. She is in the second trimester of her pregnancy and the problem occurred. After some tests, she was diagnosed with pre eclampsia. This seams to be a very serious condition since she was prompted to end the pregnancy. My cousin also said that this disorder can even cause death of mother and the baby. I would like to know what causes pre eclampsia.

Hi, preeclampsia is diagnosed when blood pressure rises in pregnancy. It is also known as pregnancy induced hypertension. This hypertension is associated with high concentration of proteins in urine. What causes it is still not clear. However, principal cause is a substance or substances found in the placenta. These substances cause endothelial dysfunction in the maternal blood vessels. High blood pressure is the most visible sign of this illness but with it a significant damage to the maternal endothelium, liver and kidneys is present. Another symptom is the release of vasopressive factors. There is no cure for preeclampsia. The only thing that can be done is to end the pregnancy. Among all the dangerous illnesses that can occur during the pregnancy, preeclampsia is the most common one. Your cousin is also right when she told you that this condition can affect both the mother and the child.